cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Seminary, CES and Gen 1.

So last week was Gen 1-4 in seminary.
I was reading through the lesson plan during stake conference, and was pleasantly surprised by what it said about the creation. It said we have no idea how it all got here, only why. It even gave a very useful example. Hold up the bible and ask, what is more important, knowing the details of the physical construction of the bible (binding processes, paper type, ink, font, etc etc) or what it all means. So I got excited that I could talk about the creation in a meaningful way and not feel guilty about straying from the lesson manual, like I had planned on doing anyway.
So, by Thursday, we had gone through the stuff in Moses 1 and were ready to goto Moses 2/ Genesis 1. I used the book analogy to set it up, and then said "We've all heard the primary story of what happened on each of the 7 days. blah blah blah. BORING! Today we're going to try and figure out what it means." That woke them up. They all got excited to see something different. Anyway, we then spent most of the class talking about how the creation of the earth and life is symbolic of each of our creation, and what that tells us about us, and how to find Jesus. For example part way through the creation, the earth was submerged in water, just like each of us. They were totally into the discussion and they brought up some things that I hadn't thought of before.
Wonderful class time, great spirit. Kids eat things up. seminary is a great calling. (It would suck as a job, but great if you don't get paid).

so we're already 3 chapters behind now, but next week we talk about the meaning of the fall.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for you to get kids thinking outside the box. My oldest is in seminary this year, so I'm going to ask her what her teacher is saying about the creation.

Hopefully, her paid seminary teacher is willing to go your route as well, but I'm not going to expect it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
Brian

my daughter is a freshman this year, and her teacher is boring her to death. She feels like she is in primary. These kids are sharp and want to learn something, not just be bored with something they've heard 23984329874230949832576539845984327 times before.
And they want to have fun. nothing wrong with playing lots of games and acting stupid to make a point.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

It sounds like my daughter's teacher wants to just get through the lessons. Apparently, the only thing said about the creation was that God created everything in 6 days.

Can I send her to your class? Sure, you live in another state and she'd really have to get up early to get there, but at least she'd enjoy it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Brian

10 hour drive, each way, but sure, love to have her!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding seminary, I tell all my kids that it's important that they take it during first period. That way, if they oversleep they'll just be missing seminary instead of a real class.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Regarding seminary, I tell all my kids that it's important that they take it during first period. That way, if they oversleep they'll just be missing seminary instead of a real class.
I always switched my schedule so that seminary came during the class when lunch was going on. Extra time for off campus lunches was a great thing.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I always switched my schedule so that seminary came during the class when lunch was going on. Extra time for off campus lunches was a great thing.

I lucked out with seminary. One year I had it after lunch, the other two years were 1st and 7th periods.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I did better than all of you.

I joined my junior year in high school. We only had early morning seminary at the same time as swimming practice. In light of the fact that my family was unfamiliar with seminary, sports came first. And they still let me in to BYU. Of course, they liked my grades and test scores.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:09 AM   #10
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

This is good to hear. I'm teaching early morning seminary for my first time, and I can't help but feel like the Seminary Manual is more appropriate for Senior Primary than for 9th and 10th graders. I'm only a week into it and I've pretty much abandoned the manual for the institute manual, save a good object lesson here or there.