cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Neuweasel, the frontrunner for the UCLA job

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3161587

This would have to be one of the most bone-headed moves of all time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3161587

This would have to be one of the most bone-headed moves of all time.
Good for UCLA to look at someone who cheated at 2 other schools. I guess they are trying to keep it in the "Bruin Family". That really turned out nice with the Dorrell hire, he played LB for the bruins didn't he?
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Neuheisel didn't cheat at Washington. He participated in an NCAA basketball pool. Big deal. It's just that give the sports-hating academics half a chance and they love to take down a popular coach just for sport. This is what I've been saying about who really would decide whether BYU gets into the Pac 10.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Neuheisel didn't cheat at Washington. He participated in an NCAA basketball pool. Big deal. It's just that give the sports-hating academics half a chance and they love to take down a popular coach just for sport. This is what I've been saying about who really would decide whether BYU gets into the Pac 10.
I forgot it was the pool, he did have some major recruiting violations at Colorado though didn't he? Or am I just way off.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It'd be great if someone would track down that fark thread about Neuheisel's NCAA basketball bracket. One of the funniest sports satires I've seen on the web.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I forgot it was the pool, he did have some major recruiting violations at Colorado though didn't he? Or am I just way off.
Maybe little stuff. Nothing big.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think he did have some problems at Colorado, but it is hard to tell which coach caused more trouble there...him or his successor Gary Barnett.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Neuheisel's biggest problem isn't that he participated in a NCAA tourney pool or cheated a bit at Colorado, it's that he's a mediocre football coach at best.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
http://www.slate.com/id/2084437/

Quote:
After he left Colorado, the NCAA discovered 51 violations committed during his tenure, slapping the school with two years of probation. The American Football Coaches Association formally censured him for a lack of remorse. Neuheisel later described his approach to NCAA rules as "creative." Even when not breaking the letter of a rule, he often found ways to violate one in spirit. For instance, during periods when he was forbidden to visit recruits, he would drive in front of a prospective player's home, call him on his cell phone, and tell him to look out the window, where he would see Neuheisel waving. Washington high-school star Larry Stevens, who had spurned Neuheisel, described how the coach's pursuit bordered on stalking. Nonetheless Neuheisel, with a straight face, accused Pac-10 rival Bob Toledo of continuing to recruit players who had declared their intention to attend Washington.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Nobody hates DI spectator sports more than that bastion of the cultural elite, Slate. He probably bought 51 cheesburgers for his players.

—Paul Auster