cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BYU FB recruiting not impressive

Looking at the commits and waiting for any new information as we get closer to signing deadline, I must say I'm not impressed borderline very concerned.

Is this even a top 60 class?

I have heard it's a down year for LDS recruits. But I think it's arguable KW is beating us for top LDS recruits. At a minimum, Utah's doing better than ever in that category. And we're losing some to Pac 10.

So, this is a year we would go hard after some non-LDS recruits, right? Am I correct that we have no non-LDS commits so far?

What's going on here?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the usual. we get the same LDS recruits no matter who the coach is, no matter what our record is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Looking at the commits and waiting for any new information as we get closer to signing deadline, I must say I'm not impressed borderline very concerned.

I have heard it's a down year for LDS recruits. But I think it's arguable KW is beating us for top LDS recruits. At a minimum, Utah's doing better than ever in that category. And we're losing some to Pac 10.

So, this is a year we would go hard after some non-LDS recruits, right? Am I correct that we have no non-LDS commits so far?

What's going on here?
It seems to me to be about as good as normal. But I say that with the expectation that BYU will land either Chambers, Stevens or Kaveinga.

Some of the kids seem pretty solid. The only LDS kid Utah landed that BYU really wanted was Kruegar, as far as I recall.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It seems to me to be about as good as normal. But I say that with the expectation that BYU will land either Chambers, Stevens or Kaveinga.

Some of the kids seem pretty solid. The only LDS kid Utah landed that BYU really wanted was Kruegar, as far as I recall.
Why no emphasis on non LDS?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the usual. we get the same LDS recruits no matter who the coach is, no matter what our record is.
I concur. Recruiting years I get excited about are years like last year where BYU gets non-LDS offensive and defensive skill players that other schools wanted such as Diluigi or Pittman.

The key to BYU's success is far more dictated by retention than recruiting. The good LDS kids are enough to build around for a top tier MWC program if leveraged properly. Bronco seems aware how to leverage that strength. There can be occassional national level years where there are some really special LDS studs they can build around.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why no emphasis on non LDS?
That is how I gauge a special year. I would like to see BYU bring in 3-5 recruits every year that are not LDS, and I tend to disqualify non-LDS polys that play DL or OL from that count. I want 3-5 non-LDS kids who play DB, LB, WR or RB each and every year.

That didn't happen this year so I don't categorize it as a special year but I think it is a steady year because it has the core of good LDS kids that BYU builds upon.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

We have a solid class but not spectacular. That said, the class will still be good one and potentially a very good one if we land a couple of these other guys that are still on the fence.

Utah has had a great recruiting year and you have to give credit to the Utes for going head to head with the Cougs and getting a couple really good players. However, I am not disappointed in BYU's class as I do believe it is pretty strong. We just are not hearing the hype like we used to because BYU has locked up most of these guys months ago.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jay santos;171316]Looking at the commits and waiting for any new information as we get closer to signing deadline, I must say I'm not impressed borderline very concerned.

So, this is a year we would go hard after some non-LDS recruits, right? Am I correct that we have no non-LDS commits so far? QUOTE:

This is something that worries me. I hope Bronco isn't buying into some of his own rhetoric. I just don't think you can spin straw into Gold.

BYU is doing some positive things. Upping salaries for one. I think they are staying out of Bronco and Holmoes way, but as we know they can reappear in a heartbeat and that reappearance can occur over something having nothing to do with winning football games.

I appreciate that they are getting dough apparently right and left. I will keep kicking in my $1,000 a year no problem, however I will say right now if they came and asked for the $10,000 again I would say no unless you show me how you are committed to taking this team to the next level.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
That is how I gauge a special year. I would like to see BYU bring in 3-5 recruits every year that are not LDS, and I tend to disqualify non-LDS polys that play DL or OL from that count. I want 3-5 non-LDS kids who play DB, LB, WR or RB each and every year.

That didn't happen this year so I don't categorize it as a special year but I think it is a steady year because it has the core of good LDS kids that BYU builds upon.
AingeERaCoug really wasn't impressed with my take on this subject.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2936963

We did win with few non-LDS kids, but let's look at our schedule. I mean we got beat by Tulsa and what proved to be not a very good UCLA team. To play with the big boys consistently we need some non-LDS kids or at least LDS kids that aren't mission bound.

Bronco may prove me wrong and that wouldn't break my heart. I just want to win. I don't need to be right.

Last edited by BYU71; 01-07-2008 at 09:06 PM.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

71' you still showing signs of anger about the potential schedule for next year. Let it go until the schedule is finalized and we indeed playing Weber State.

We have some great players in this class that could help us for a long time:

Here are a handful of guys that will be solid for us:

Austin Holt - Dude has the potential to play on Sundays
Shiloah Teo - Another Stud Safety to bring some depth to that position
Michael Alisa - LB out of the same mold as Kehl
Tevita Hola - Beast in the Middle. Will make instant impact
Magnum Mauga - Another DL Beast.
Daniel Sorensen - Another Safety that was all State in California
Justin Sorensen - Best kicker to come to Provo in a long long time
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote