cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Jackson Emery

I remember him as getting more PT than he deserved and being a little overrated but showing flashes of brilliance with his defense and knocking down some three's.

Looked up his stats and here's what he did.

Played in 28/29 games. Started 6. Averaged 10 minutes a game. 2.8 pts a game. Shot 30% from three--lowest on the team. 10 steals for the season which at a steal per minute stat puts him in 4th place on this team behind Jimmer, JT, Lee and ahead of Burgess. 19 TO's and 19 assists. 1:1 TO:assist ratio would be lowest on this team outside of the 4's and 5's.

Coming off a mission, I'm gonna say he's not somebody we can expect to help this team next year.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

could he defend better than Jimmer?

(steals are overrated).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

(steals are overrated).
Absolutely he's a better defender than Jimmer. He was considered the perimeter defensive stopper on that team. He's a two inches shorter Cummard as far as defense.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I didn't watch him all that much, but I remember him as a poor man's Lee Cummard. Very active and a ball-hawk, always picking up loose balls and rebounds, plays very good defense, and fills up the stat sheet (although not with too many points). I think he could be the second best perimeter defender on the team next year. As his stats indicate, he made freshman mistakes, and I got the impression that he had a hard time not being the dominant player on the floor for a change.

I wouldn't be upset to see him redshirt, but if he does play, I think he could be a valuable 10 minute a game guy next year.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

(steals are overrated).
He will do a better job at staying in front of his man.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I remember him as getting more PT than he deserved and being a little overrated but showing flashes of brilliance with his defense and knocking down some three's.

Looked up his stats and here's what he did.

Played in 28/29 games. Started 6. Averaged 10 minutes a game. 2.8 pts a game. Shot 30% from three--lowest on the team. 10 steals for the season which at a steal per minute stat puts him in 4th place on this team behind Jimmer, JT, Lee and ahead of Burgess. 19 TO's and 19 assists. 1:1 TO:assist ratio would be lowest on this team outside of the 4's and 5's.

Coming off a mission, I'm gonna say he's not somebody we can expect to help this team next year.
I think he will be a pretty decent sub next year. There is no way he starts ahead of Jimmer. Jimmer is a better basketball player in the first place and Emery will be coming off a mission.

I believe Emery will play between 10-20 mpg coming off the bench next year. Clearly, perimeter defense will be his forte but I think he will develop into a more complete player his junior and senior year.

I thought the kid was athletic and fearless. I liked him.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
K-dog

Has anyone seen this Abuou kid play? I don't know anything about him.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
From what I have read and or heard he sounds very raw. Stong perimeter player who can take it inside with power, rebound and defend. Very limited and unpolished offensive skills. If Mike Hall was a poor man's Travis Hansen, Abuou is likely a poor man's Mike Hall in time.

I expect he will redshirt and BYU's perimeter subs will be Jackson Emery as the primary perimeter sub and then Archie Rose.

Let's not forget that Dave Rose still has one more scholarship to give out after this year. Presently there are only 12 players with scholarships for next year. I don't know how he evaluates his needs. I would think BYU will pick up another JC PG or a JC wing player.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I've seen some film of the kid.

He's a slasher, and he's very athletic. He can create his own shot.

The kid is going to get log some PT next year probably in the same amount of time that Collinsworth and Loyd are getting this year.

I'm not convinced that Archie Rose will be here by the time next season rolls around.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I've seen some film of the kid.

He's a slasher, and he's very athletic. He can create his own shot.

The kid is going to get log some PT next year probably in the same amount of time that Collinsworth and Loyd are getting this year.

I'm not convinced that Archie Rose will be here by the time next season rolls around.
Rose sucks. I'm glad Abuou looks good. We'll need the help on the wings. If it frees Jimmer up we'll be golden.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr