cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Gospel According to the Hebrews

The Gospel According to the Hebrews was scripture for Jewish Christians in Alexandria and seems to have been written during the first half of the 2nd century. It was written in Greek. We don't have any copies of it, but we do know it was familiar to Clement, Origen, Didymus, and Jerome.

We only have the fragments that are quoted by church fathers. Here's one I think is particularly interesting from Origen:

There [in the Gospel According to the Hebrews] the Savior himself says, "Just now my mother, the Holy Spirit, took me by one of my hairs and carried me up to the great mountain, Tabor."

People here and there have made a circumstantial case for the Holy Spirit somehow being Heavenly Mother by citing how the Spirit seems diminuitive (it's still and small), it's mystical and abstracted, it interacts with human emotions, and it would make the Godhead a family, but I find it rather interesting that a group of 2nd century Christians held the belief.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm, they say that Holy Ghost might be more than one person.

Is that because there are mulitiple women?

(you can always find a polygamy tie in if you look hard enough).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

That reminds me of another story from my seminary days:

One of my seminary teachers asked that one day we come to class and act as if we were someone from the Book of Mormon for the hour in class so we could try to gain a new perspective by discussing the Gospel as that person. As an adult, I can see that it would be a good idea as it would make me study the BoM a bit more deeply than I do; however for some high schoolers, it just wouldn't be a good idea, especially those of us who were a bit on the smartass side.

Anyway, one of my friends decided that he would be the Holy Ghost and eventually got kicked out of class because he kept wandering around the room and whispering to everyone. The teacher thought he was a bit too disruptive, but I thnk it was because he was crawling under the desks of some of the girls in skirts to take a look was the real reason, as the teacher heard him whisper to me that one of the girls was wearing red undies.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
hmm, they say that Holy Ghost might be more than one person.

Is that because there are mulitiple women?

(you can always find a polygamy tie in if you look hard enough).

I have Big Love for all the Holy Spirits (Not that the Church has ANY association with polygamy. No, we're defensive about it because there's no association whatsoever and those groups being in Utah and Northern Arizona is pure coincidence...the result of random chance!)
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Gospel According to the Hebrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
People here and there have made a circumstantial case for the Holy Spirit somehow being Heavenly Mother by citing how the Spirit seems diminuitive (it's still and small), it's mystical and abstracted, it interacts with human emotions, and it would make the Godhead a family, but I find it rather interesting that a group of 2nd century Christians held the belief.
http://www.experiencefestival.com/holy_ghost

also check this passage of proverbs 8....

1 DOTH not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?

2 She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.

3 She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.

4 Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote