cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The streak ends at 54 months!

For the first time since January 2004, a home teacher visited me!

In January 2004, I was married and we were 3 months pregnant. A lot has happened since then. For the first time in 4 1/2 years, a priesthood brother came over, asked how I was doing, discussed the gospel with me, and left a blessing on my home.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

That sounds just about right.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If this is what you want 4ever, I'm sincerely happy for you.

I'm one who would rather not have home teachers. Our streak of almost 6 years ended 4 months ago. Our home teacher is a good man who is fulfilling his priesthood duty by visiting us - and I do like the guy - but I'd rather call him if I need anything rather than have him stop buy and ask about our well being.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

It made my day. I truly hope I don't have to wait again until January 2013.

Maybe each member should be asked whether they want to participate in the home teaching pool or not, and then next to their name on the roster is a Y or N.

I, heh heh, gasp, ahem, would "choose the Y."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes, home teaching benefits the home teacher more than the family he's visiting. For our branch full of new converts, home teaching is a great way to introduce the home teacher to the Christian principles of service, love, prayer and scripture study. It's the Gospel in action rather than some theoretical abstract discussed 3 hours a week.

IMO, it's also useful for your kids to see this. Render service unto others by being a gracious home teachee.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Sometimes, home teaching benefits the home teacher more than the family he's visiting. For our branch full of new converts, home teaching is a great way to introduce the home teacher to the Christian principles of service, love, prayer and scripture study. It's the Gospel in action rather than some theoretical abstract discussed 3 hours a week.

IMO, it's also useful for your kids to see this. Render service unto others by being a gracious home teachee.
You do make a good point that I could be more gracious about visits for my kids to see.

Then again, it would be for naught as my kids have a sensor deep inside them that recognizes when the hometeacher is within 100 yards of the house and I know he's on his way when I see them bolt out the door.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

these are actually very good points, both of them. I have seen the new convert sense a real stewardship with his HT assignments, likely because they assumed they were too new to receive any legitimate assignments.....yet all of a sudden they are responsible for 2 or 3 families.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
For the first time since January 2004, a home teacher visited me!

In January 2004, I was married and we were 3 months pregnant. A lot has happened since then. For the first time in 4 1/2 years, a priesthood brother came over, asked how I was doing, discussed the gospel with me, and left a blessing on my home.
Lucky bastard! (For the length of the streak, not that it ended)
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote