cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim
Default Temple recommend question.

I have a friend who went on a mission for all of three days (after the MTC), then came home and gave her virginity away (and kept giving it away) within a matter of weeks. Her bishop gave her recommend back after just two months. Is it wrong for me to feel like something's not right here? To go from a tawdry love affair to the temple in two months' time doesn't seem fair nor right to me. I'm not judging her, because she is a friend, and everyone makes mistakes... but how can one possibly be repentant enough after a month of regular premarital intercourse to be able to go to the temple within two months?

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I have a friend who went on a mission for all of three days (after the MTC), then came home and gave her virginity away (and kept giving it away) within a matter of weeks. Her bishop gave her recommend back after just two months. Is it wrong for me to feel like something's not right here? To go from a tawdry love affair to the temple in two months' time doesn't seem fair nor right to me. I'm not judging her, because she is a friend, and everyone makes mistakes... but how can one possibly be repentant enough after a month of regular premarital intercourse to be able to go to the temple within two months?

Tim
Shed your previous thoughts on forgiveness Tim....

We as a mormon culture think there are time restraints, time cushions between a sin and forgiveness....

The atonement can work instantly and a change of heart and forgiveness can happen overnight. One need look only to the scriptures and the many examples of overnight forgiveness....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

My answer would be this: I don't know that there would be a circumstance under which I, if I were the bishop, would let somebody in that quickly. However, being in the fortuitous position of not being the bishop, I don't have to wonder why that bishop let her in so quickly.

I.E., probably not, but that doesn't mean I'm worried about it. It's between her, the Bishop, and the Lord, and if the three of them decided that it was OK, I'm not going to argue.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. I guess it just depends on the ecclesiastical leader. I was under the previous impression that fornicating after going through the temple was an automatic disfellowship and no temple for a year...
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
Wow. I guess it just depends on the ecclesiastical leader. I was under the previous impression that fornicating after going through the temple was an automatic disfellowship and no temple for a year...
Question...

Doesn't imposing time limits on forgiveness seem inconsistent with how the scriptures read?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim

Tim
I would agree that it is out of line with what you would see typically, but this is whay leaders are given great latitude. I have always believed that if there is an error to be made it should be on the side of mercy and forgiveness. If there is an error here, the leader has erred on the correct side of the line IMO.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Question...

Doesn't imposing time limits on forgiveness seem inconsistent with how the scriptures read?
That is a much better question to me. There is a whole can of worms here and much room for sincere disagreement, but I do not believe that the church's "discipline system" squares with a reading of how the Saviour dealt with sinners, either conceptually or in its typical application. There are much more spiritual people than I who obviously disagree however.

Last edited by UtahDan; 05-05-2006 at 08:55 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it reasonable to assume that Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah had a good understanding of the gospel, because of who their fathers were. But despite being "endowed" with this knowledge, and despite their likely having been baptized, they were actively apostate.

Within three days of said behavior, they were teaching the gospel.

I doubt Tim's friend saw an angel after swapping knocking doors for knocking da boots, but I don't know her well enough to doubt that two months time was not sufficient for a true change of heart.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Question...

Gimme a break. I have not said anything that would indicate that I am pro or anti-mandatory time limits. I had a friend who couldnt go on a mission until after a year had passed from his last indiscretion, and a guy on my mission fornicated while on the mission and was disfellowshipped for a year as outlined by his ecclesiastical leader. Hence my saying "I guess it depends on the ecclesiastical leader".

By the way, the Church isnt bound by what is in the scriptures in its governance. It says in the Church handbook that getting a sex change is automatic excommunication. Where is that in the scriptures?

Again, I am not taking a hardline stance on this. I tend to think that mercy should be emphasized over the law in repentance, if that makes any sense.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim

Tim
I think I need to know more about the tawdry love affair in order to intelligently answer this question.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote