cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Palin may be more revolutionary that Obama

Palin could be more revolutionary than Obama for two reasons:

First, sexism is pervasive, and arguably unlike racism, open and notorious. As we've seen, in some corners sexism is preached as virtue. Racism is still widespread, but it's been forced underground. Repectable people are sensitive to the imorality of racism and ruin that being labeled a racist can bring, while many of the same people unwittingly or wittingly practice and spout sexism. See Sister Beck's speech and comments last night on NPR about Palind being a good speech reader.

Second, sexists comprise a not insignifant part of Palin's captive audience, who will vore Republican regardless of gender. The religious Republican base has been laggard on women's issues, and the scales are falling from their eyes. These Republicans were of course unfazed by Geraldine Feraro or Hillary Cinton. Now their world view has been changed. I'm most happy for the young women from conservative religious backgrounds who have a powerful new role model.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Plus, she moves the US one step closer to theocracy.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Link?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #4
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

SU - honest question. Do you believe there are general differences between the genders (beyond basic physical differences)?

I'm not disputing that sexism exists, just wondering how deep the basis is for asserting sexism. In other words, it appears quite possible / likely that a majority of women around the world are sexist against women. If women in most nations believe the primary role of parenting falls on them (breast feeding, nurturing, etc), then they may in fact be anti-female sexists, themselves.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Bookums, hush now. The men are talking.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Bookums, hush now. The men are talking.
Right. Apologies, sir. I'll just bring you your after-dinner coffee and wait for you in the bedroom.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
SU - honest question. Do you believe there are general differences between the genders (beyond basic physical differences)?

I'm not disputing that sexism exists, just wondering how deep the basis is for asserting sexism. In other words, it appears quite possible / likely that a majority of women around the world are sexist against women. If women in most nations believe the primary role of parenting falls on them (breast feeding, nurturing, etc), then they may in fact be anti-female sexists, themselves.
Most nations are relatively unenlightened. The nations to which you refer often don't even have representative governments. Sure there are differences between genders beyond appearance. My view is more nuanced than to claim there are not.

But I most emphatically reject the idea that women can't have it all. The crux of what I believe is that efforts to convince women they can't have it all are reprehensible and harmful to society. I see parents do this rampantly, and my blood boils.

Women may have to work harder than men to have it all, as unavoidably they must bear the children (should they choose to have children, which are necessary for the propagation of our speicie), and as a result probably invariably a disproportionate share of nurturing tends to fall on them. Nevertheless, from knowing many powerful and learned women what I love about them is they bring a distinctly female personality to the traditional male enterprises. This aspect can be formiddable, as we saw last night. And we are all better off for it, most of all their lucky children.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

Seattle are you supporting Ms. Palin because she's female?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 AM   #9
SeattleUte

Let me add, a father undertaking more of the nurturing role is all to the good, for him and for his children. I know. I have done it both ways. That is my testimony.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-05-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Seattle are you supporting Ms. Palin because she's female?
I have been a McCain supporter since this campaign started. You know that. My posts can't be read that that's what I'm saying. I'm making different points. Did I support Hillary?

—Paul Auster