cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Role playing Games are spiritual Risk, Who knew?

http://mormontimes.com/WC_education.php?id=1921

This bs peddled to Mormon masses is truly amazing. I only stumble upon this through reading the Snews looking for BYU sports news.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

This bs peddled to Mormon masses is truly amazing. I only stumble upon this through reading the Snews looking for BYU sports news.
So now it is World of Warcraft that is to blame for teenage woes? I remember in the not so distant past that Marilyn Manson was the root of all evil. When I was growing up, it was Ozzy Ozbourne.

when my son gets older, I will simply pay some hot teenage woman to come to our house and tell him that excessive video game playing will prevent him from making out with chicks.

That should be more persuasive than any conference talk on the subject.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Check out this story........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

http://mormontimes.com/WC_education.php?id=3625

Extermination doesn't mean death? So I call in the exterminator to spray our house for pests, I can't expect the spray to kill the pests?

I guess the message was misunderstood by those who did kill the saints.

Who came up with mormontimes anyway?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
when my son gets older, I will simply pay some hot teenage woman to come to our house and tell him that excessive video game playing will prevent him from making out with chicks.
Will she charge you extra for that?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Most professors of computer science have had exactly zero training in assessing "addiction." But he's smart to use that language because Mormons have a way of lapping that stuff up.

There can be unhealthy video game use (and the reason I know this is that I've read the research and teach a class on video games and virtuality), but role playing itself is often healthy. The research suggests that teenagers playing Dungeons & Dragons, for example, often benefit from increased creativity, work well in groups, are goal oriented, and socialize well in adulthood (which shouldn't surprise, as role playing games have a strong rehearsal element to them). Yes, there is the stereotype of the undateable male working at the comic book store in the mall, but that's the exception.

In retrospect, warnings from the pulpit about D&D being from Satan seem absurd.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 09-17-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I remember these warnings about Dungeons and Dragons. According to my parents, playing warlock or whatever (I've never played) invited the devil into your home. Every once in awhile, someone at church would tell a story about throwing the game out into the trash can, only to have it re-assemble itself overnight, presumably the work of dark forces.

In retrospect, my parents' prohibitions against this game were probably divinely inspired. Playing that game as a youngster is flirting with a lifetime of comic-book, sci-fi geekiness. Some get out, sure. But many don't.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Most professors of computer science have had exactly zero training in assessing "addiction." But he's smart to use that language because Mormons have a way of lapping that stuff up.

There can be unhealthy video game use (and the reason I know this is that I've read the research and teach a class on video games and virtuality), but role playing itself is often healthy. The research suggests that teenagers playing Dungeons & Dragons, for example, often benefit from increased creativity, work well in groups, are goal oriented, and socialize well in adulthood (which shouldn't surprise, as role playing games have a strong rehearsal element to them). Yes, there is the stereotype of the undateable male working at the comic book store in the mall, but that's the exception.

video games light up the same part of your brain as crack/cocaine, according to one prominent neuroscientist, Daniel Amen.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
video games light up the same part of your brain as crack/cocaine, according to one prominent neuroscientist, Daniel Amen.
the pleasure center? God forbid we do anything that gives us pleasure. Man is that he might have suckiness.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
So does Chuck E Cheese.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the pleasure center? God forbid we do anything that gives us pleasure. Man is that he might have suckiness.
no, not the pleasure center, some other area.