cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LDS physician: "I will not prescribe oral contraceptives"

http://www.zenit.org/article-23713?l=english

Joe Stanford.

The best part is that he is a professor at the University of Utah.

The thing that I like about this is here we have a LDS person who is seeking out multiple sources to try and find an answer to an ethical question. I doubt I would come to the same conclusion as him, but like him, I would not soley rely on LDS statements to make my mind up about the important ethical issues of our time. And yes, I think the Catholics have some interesting things to say, more interesting on these issues, than what Mormon General Authorities have to say.

I've never met a doctor who refused to prescribe oral contraceptives because it violates his moral code.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.zenit.org/article-23713?l=english

Joe Stanford.

The best part is that he is a professor at the University of Utah.

The thing that I like about this is here we have a LDS person who is seeking out multiple sources to try and find an answer to an ethical question. I doubt I would come to the same conclusion as him, but like him, I would not soley rely on LDS statements to make my mind up about the important ethical issues of our time. And yes, I think the Catholics have some interesting things to say, more interesting on these issues, than what Mormon General Authorities have to say.

I've never met a doctor who refused to prescribe oral contraceptives because it violates his moral code.
Well, why should he? You can't get pregnant that way anyway.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

So this guy would even deny an oral contraceptive to a married woman?

I agree with you that I admire his open-mindedness toward a religious idea outside of the Mormon canon, but I can't agree with his conclusion.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I helped this guy with some research in med school. He's an odd duck, for sure, but an intelligent guy. I didn't read your link, so I'm not sure if it covers this, but I can understand his argument. His problem with OCPs is that there is evidence that a significant percentage of women still ovulate while on the pill, which means that the pill is letting a fertilized egg die by preventing implantation in the uterus. There are plenty of people in our church who are against Plan B--I'm not sure you can rationalize a difference between Plan B and the pill. I also don't know how you can be against embryonic stem cell research and still use the pill. The research that I helped Joe with was in discussing women's perceptions of the pill and how their understanding of its mechanism of action affected their level of comfort in taking it. There was a significant percentage of women who felt very uncomfortable with the idea of letting a fertilized egg die, yet were still taking the pill. He felt that doctors are not being very straightforward/honest with women about how the pill works, a point where I'd have to agree.

Personally, I'm OK with OCPs, Plan B, and stem cell research. But I certainly respect his position.

Last edited by ERCougar; 09-27-2008 at 01:40 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Is this person an ob/gyn? To me, it just seems odd to go into a field where the law permits women to choose on a range of issues, and then to refuse to honor those choices. Maybe he should have become a psychiatrist.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Is this person an ob/gyn? To me, it just seems odd to go into a field where the law permits women to choose on a range of issues, and then to refuse to honor those choices. Maybe he should have become a psychiatrist.
Nope, he's family practice. He really pushes other birth control techniques. His big one is the rhythm method--using cervical mucus viscosity, body temp's, etc.

Mmmm...cervical mucus....
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Nope, he's family practice. He really pushes other birth control techniques. His big one is the rhythm method--using cervical mucus viscosity, body temp's, etc.

So he's in favor of conception no matter the cost?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post

For a long time I thought the rhythm method was a description of how you had sex not when you had sex.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
RHG, that's a blockbuster avatar. Don't change it. I think you're on your way to superstardom here now.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
For a long time I thought the rhythm method was a description of how you had sex not when you had sex.
Iambic pentameter?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote