cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheney's full-court press on Obama re: torture

tells me that he must be guiltier than hell. He's going on the offensive to try and influence the public that if he broke any laws, it was because of his ardent desire to protect Americans, and that in fact, his law-breaking saved lives.

And that if you don't support what he did, you want Americans to die.

Yes, it is cynical of Cheney. Despicable in fact. But what do you expect from someone who went to war on lies, without a plan, and shot his friend?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
tells me that he must be guiltier than hell. He's going on the offensive to try and influence the public that if he broke any laws, it was because of his ardent desire to protect Americans, and that in fact, his law-breaking saved lives.

And that if you don't support what he did, you want Americans to die.

Yes, it is cynical of Cheney. Despicable in fact. But what do you expect from someone who went to war on lies, without a plan, and shot his friend?
Whatever one thinks of what Cheney did while in office, he's right about one thing: if you're going to release memos about the internal Bush admin torture debate, you'd better release them all. Right now Obama is releasing the bad, and keeping classified the good.

He chose to open that Pandora's Box, so it's only fair the public get both sides so it can form an informed opinion.

If the enhanced interrogation techniques really aren't worth it. If what was gained is not worth the cost, wouldn't that bear itself out by releasing the results?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Whatever one thinks of what Cheney did while in office, he's right about one thing: if you're going to release memos about the internal Bush admin torture debate, you'd better release them all. Right now Obama is releasing the bad, and keeping classified the good.

He chose to open that Pandora's Box, so it's only fair the public get both sides so it can form an informed opinion.

If the enhanced interrogation techniques really aren't worth it. If what was gained is not worth the cost, wouldn't that bear itself out by releasing the results?
so you agree we should have an independent investigation, I take it.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Tex

Quote:
I didn't say that.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I didn't say that.
Of course not. You want all documents that support torture to be released, and nothing against torture to be released.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Why? You are suggesting that the ends justify the means, which isn't at all Obama's contention. Obama and others believe that waterboarding is torture, and torture is absolutely wrong, no matter what is gleaned from the torture. What possible difference does it make if it worked (and, by the way, the strong evidence we have so far indicates it didn't work at all).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think there should be an independent investigation. I also believe that all the documents should be released. What possible reason does Obama have for keeping anything classified other than for political expediency?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Of course not. You want all documents that support torture to be released, and nothing against torture to be released.
Nonsense. Where have I ever advocated such a thing?

I think my first preference would probably to be not to release any at all. But now that the negative documents have been released, it seems only sensible to release the positive ones as well.

Cheney's request is nothing more than a request for full disclosure.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Nonsense. Where have I ever advocated such a thing?

I think my first preference would probably to be not to release any at all. But now that the negative documents have been released, it seems only sensible to release the positive ones as well.

Cheney's request is nothing more than a request for full disclosure.
Then we need a commission.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why? You are suggesting that the ends justify the means, which isn't at all Obama's contention. Obama and others believe that waterboarding is torture, and torture is absolutely wrong, no matter what is gleaned from the torture. What possible difference does it make if it worked.
I am suggesting nothing of the sort. Rather, I believe the American people deserve all the available data, so as to make an informed decision about whether they think it was justified or not. Some will, some won't.

If the issue is as cut-and-dried as you think it is, releasing the evidence of its success will only underscore that it wasn't worth it. What are you afraid of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
(and, by the way, the strong evidence we have so far indicates it didn't work at all).
What an amusingly ironic statement. "The evidence that it worked hasn't been released, therefore we can conclude that it didn't work."

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 05-11-2009 at 07:08 PM.