cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is Bronco getting a free pass?

1. Urban Meyer has his guts so knotted up about a 7-5 season, that he resigns. Quits football.

2. UT Longhorns finish 5-7, dump 3 coaches including their OC Greg Davis, 1 season removed from playing for BCS mythical national championship.

3. Pittsburgh dumps Wannstedt. 7-5.

4. Miami dumps Randy Shannon. 7-5.

But Bronco gets no grief for a 6-6 season which included a loss to Utah State. Because he fired his DC? Because the defense got better? Because the offense improved from embarrassing to barely mediocre?

This is Bronco's 6th season at BYU. And I have a very important question. Where is the talent on the field? Point out the players who are going to be drafted in the NFL? It's about as mediocre as it has EVER been in my memory.

Bronco, do you have any control over Robert Anae? If not, you better. Because he just might get you fired. Or cause the fans and alumni to turn against you.

This mantra about less work, less time, less practice. It's got to end. Not when the coaching has been this bad, and the product this embarrassing. You don't like it? Get a different job. You're getting compensated more than almost any other human being has been paid in the history of the world to do your job. DO IT!

Bronco has built up a lot of good will. He's steady, he's predictable. The players are not embarrassing the university off the field. The perceived righteousness of the players has never been higher. He had a good run of 4 seasons with at least 10 wins.

But just look at Texas. The tide can turn very quickly. The expectations at BYU aren't nearly as high. But while we may be poor and ugly, we have expectations as well.

Notice how Bronco is never mentioned as a possible HC candidate at big schools, while Whittingham is now being mentioned frequently and loudly? There's a reason for that. Because the Bronco stock is down. He's about attitude, and mental toughness, and execution of basic schemes. Out gameplan the other team? Not so much. Recruit beyond expectations? Not so much. Work harder than the other coaches? He's proud to say he doesn't.

I'm hoping that Bronco can reinvent himself. I could see this cat walking away, like Urban. He's given plenty of hints that his heart is not completely in this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote