cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Mormon Moment that never actually happened

is now over.

We can move on to the next chapter.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Mormons follow a creed that we believe in being honest, true, benevolent...and in doing good to all men. Meanwhile, the world's most well-known Mormon has finally surfaced after a week of silence, and bitterly revealed that last month's 47% remarks was not a blunder, but a rare moment of his true candid self.

And just like old times, GOP leaders disagreed with him, and now hope that he will "just go away". Although the majority of the GOP couldn't stand him from 2007 through 8/27/12, they spent the next ten weeks pretending to support him, and are finally pleased to finally distance themselves from him.

True to Romney's form, during his rant were more flat out lies, such as his blabbering about free phones for the poor, which is not an Obama program.

Romney says he lost because of Obama gifts, while his very own top Republicans say it was because he didn't offer specifics. (Apparently in his world, billions in upper class tax cuts do not qualify as "gifts").

Romney spent the primaries slamming Hispanics yet has the audacity to blame his lack of Hispanic votes on the DREAM Act.

Mormons believe in NOT being tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive. Romney frequently lacked continuity and said whatever would appear popular at the moment, like tinkling cymbals and sounding brass.

I'm afraid that non-members who assumed Romney was a typical representative of his faith now believe that Mormonism is filled with arrogant self-righteousness and hypocrisy. While Mormons are commanded to be kind, without hypocrisy or guile, Romney visibly engaged in the most negative, trash-talking, attacking election in history. Is it no wonder that in October, a Mormon apostle had to remind a worldwide audience to never check your religion at the door?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Mitt kept on lying about it.

47% of the country is dependent on the government.

Just kidding, I was misquoted.

Just kidding, it was completely wrong.

Just kidding, Obama did give out government money to his government-dependent groups.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Mormons are now a footnote in history.

So Mormons can follow with the wind whatever politician promises enough programs and stimulus.

Will the Church fade as just another protestant religion, becoming indistinguishable, liberal as the Methodists?

Romney lost because of the Republican primary process that forced far too right on social issues. Additionally, most voters are economic morons. They don't know the difference between AD-AS and new classical economics, and simply drink the Koolaid Krugman urinates.

We have a President with no economic credentials, no experience and a failed four years, but voters want to see the economy continue to languish. We deserve our ignominious fate. Perhaps after allowing the goody-bag President while he socks it to the rich to favor us with a lost decade, the voters will recognize you can't borrow yourself to prosperity. Multipliers have never been proven except in the minds of neo-Keynesians.

i loved the 'honesty' of obama. Bush tax cuts extended for one year without closing loopholes equal $500Billion in lost revenue. Naturally nobody adjusted for loophole closing. And then they claim it is extended for ten years? Says who? If you want voodoo economics, look no further than Obama. This is the worst economic first half of a decade of my life and Obama will ensure it is extended.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-17-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I don't know about a 'Mormon Moment' but I do feel like the American public in general is more accepting of the faith now that so many questions about it have been so publicly asked and answered -and not all of them by LDS. Maybe this past election does not lead to any immediate increases in baptisms but I do think that it has helped more people think of The Church as more 'mainstream(whether or not that is actually the case)' rather than a fringe element.