cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Gilbert Arenas wants to be on the USA Team

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2516667

and after reading that article, I want him on there as well. One more reason that I like that guy.

I hope the USA comes out pissed and dominates the Worlds and shows they mean business and the last worlds and olympics are in the past, and serve as motivation to get better.

1992 seems like a long ways away, especially considering how dominant that team was.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2516667

and after reading that article, I want him on there as well. One more reason that I like that guy.

I hope the USA comes out pissed and dominates the Worlds and shows they mean business and the last worlds and olympics are in the past, and serve as motivation to get better.

1992 seems like a long ways away, especially considering how dominant that team was.

The US, if it wants to win, needs to build a TEAM, not a team comprised of "superstar" athletes. They need a perimiter shooter, some big bodies in the middle, a pg that looks to distribute the ball and run the floor (ala Nash), a slashing guard, etc. Instead they wind up with 5 starters who look to shoot immediately and don't have a clue how to play when they are not the focus on the offense. Oh, and some players who think defense is important would also be nice. In fact, just send the Heat, the Pistons or the Spurs. Each would win an Olympic title. Oddly though, taking the best player on each of those teams may not produce an Olympic title.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
The US, if it wants to win, needs to build a TEAM, not a team comprised of "superstar" athletes. They need a perimiter shooter, some big bodies in the middle, a pg that looks to distribute the ball and run the floor (ala Nash), a slashing guard, etc. Instead they wind up with 5 starters who look to shoot immediately and don't have a clue how to play when they are not the focus on the offense. Oh, and some players who think defense is important would also be nice. In fact, just send the Heat, the Pistons or the Spurs. Each would win an Olympic title. Oddly though, taking the best player on each of those teams may not produce an Olympic title.

exactly! we need Nash or Parker at point!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The original Dream Team was one that we'll never see again. Ever.

Each player individually was so good, but they were also professional enough to work together as a team. Nobody tried to do it himself, though each probably could (with the exception of the token college kid Laetner.) At times, they were too unselfish and made too many passes on fastbreaks that just made it more difficult to score - which they still did.

I just don't see enough of today's players in the NBA that are unselfish enough to make the USA a dominant team anymore. THere are simply not enough players in the league that would do it for the reason the Dream Team did - for national pride. Today's players have a "me first" attitude. Yes, there are exceptions, but I think I'm correct when I say that there aren't 12-15 players who would do it for their country.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Arenas is a great guy and a great player...Go Wizards!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Arenas is the man. One of my faves in the league. Wears the number 0 because that's all the playing time people told him to expect at UoA.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
The original Dream Team was one that we'll never see again. Ever.

Each player individually was so good, but they were also professional enough to work together as a team. Nobody tried to do it himself, though each probably could (with the exception of the token college kid Laetner.) At times, they were too unselfish and made too many passes on fastbreaks that just made it more difficult to score - which they still did.

I just don't see enough of today's players in the NBA that are unselfish enough to make the USA a dominant team anymore. THere are simply not enough players in the league that would do it for the reason the Dream Team did - for national pride. Today's players have a "me first" attitude. Yes, there are exceptions, but I think I'm correct when I say that there aren't 12-15 players who would do it for their country.
That Dream Team was something special. And you're right, we'll never see a team like that AND a situation like that. Wasn't the closest game 30 points or so? The world's basketball skills have gotten quite a bit better since then so even a well put together USA bb squad will have to fight tooth and nail to win the gold. No more cruising for the USA.