cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New thoughts on identity of the Holy Ghost....

Interestingly enough Jesus gives us three basic commandments:

a. Be perfect

b. Love God

c. Love our neighbor

We essentially are told that through love of our God and our neighbor we become perfect. The perfect are allowed to reside in the presence of God both literally and figuratively.

D & C 93:

33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;
34 And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy.
35 The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, man is the tabernacle of God, even temples; and whatsoever temple is defiled, God shall destroy that temple.
36 The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.
37 Light and truth forsake that evil one.

What do these verses teach us about us?

A few quotes attributed to Joseph Smith:

"…Joseph also said that the Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has." ("Scriptural Items", F.D. Richards quoted in The Words of Joseph Smith, Adrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, Grandin Book, Orem, Utah, 1991 pg. 245.)

So the Holy Ghost is in a state of probation and shall he perform righteous acts he may pass through the course that Jesus has, ie mortal probation with an understanding of his individual mission.

A quote from Orson Pratt via Joseph:

" … There is one revelation that this people are not generally acquainted with. I think it has never been published, but probably it will be in the Church History. It is given in questions and answers. The first question is, "What is the name of God in the pure language?" The answer says, "Ahman." "What is the name of the Son of God? Answer, "Son Ahman-the greatest of all the parts of God excepting Ahman." What is the name of Men? "Sons Ahman," is the answer.

In other words Ahman = God, Son Ahman = Jesus, Sons of Amnan = us, each part fitting into the larger part to form a Godhead.

So can one make the claim they are part of the Godhead? That they are the third part? That you and I, are in fact the Holy Ghost? That it is our commission to serve, love, comfort, protect all of our brothers and sisters?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

that is our commission to love our neighbor, but we ain't the holy ghost

you overthink too much fus
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11

In other words Ahman = God, Son Ahman = Jesus, Sons of Amnan = us, each part fitting into the larger part to form a Godhead.

So can one make the claim they are part of the Godhead? That they are the third part? That you and I, are in fact the Holy Ghost? That it is our commission to serve, love, comfort, protect all of our brothers and sisters?
How did I miss it all this time? I'm the Holy Ghost.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
How did I miss it all this time? I'm the Holy Ghost.
Laugh and mock all you want, it was simply food for thought.

I find it interesting Jesus/Jehovah would request that we be perfect in the now. How is that at all possible? Could it be we are perfect as we demonstrate love to our God, and neighbor? By counseling with God, and serving our neighbor do we not become the liason between heaven and this probation? Perfect beings are gods unto themselves.

God, Jesus and Us forming a tripartite perfect being.....
Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

First he was a woman. Now he is all of us.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:

I find it interesting Jesus/Jehovah would request that we be perfect in the now. How is that at all possible? Could it be we are perfect as we demonstrate love to our God, and neighbor? By counseling with God, and serving our neighbor do we not become the liason between heaven and this probation? Perfect beings are gods unto themselves.

Perfection is a good topic and that discussion would have room for a lot of varying opinions without a need for mocking and laughing.

But saying we're all the Holy Ghost...

By the way, on perfection, I disagree that Jesus asks us to be perfect on our own, or that we become perfect by demonstrating love to God and neighbor. We can show short flashes of perfection but fall short on a daily basis. Perfection only comes through Christ.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You are innovative if nothing else. No, I mean categorically no.

You are not very regimented though in your approach to subjects.

Who is the Holy Ghost? Who knows, it is apparently an office, but to say all of us based on the admonition to be perfect makes no sense to me.

Number one, we are not spirit.

Number two the Holy Ghost works based on wave principles, so a mammoth number of persons need not be involved.

Is it possibly more than one person? Maybe, but probably limited.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Perfection is a good topic and that discussion would have room for a lot of varying opinions without a need for mocking and laughing.

But saying we're all the Holy Ghost...

By the way, on perfection, I disagree that Jesus asks us to be perfect on our own, or that we become perfect by demonstrating love to God and neighbor. We can show short flashes of perfection but fall short on a daily basis. Perfection only comes through Christ.
Perfect is the English translation of teleos, which means complete, not flawless.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Perfect is the English translation of teleos, which means complete, not flawless.
Yes, I understand that definition.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
fusnik11

Quote:
You are innovative if nothing else. No, I mean categorically no.

You are not very regimented though in your approach to subjects.

Who is the Holy Ghost? Who knows, it is apparently an office, but to say all of us based on the admonition to be perfect makes no sense to me.
I think I am offended, I can't quite decipher what you are trying to say here.

Quote:
Number one, we are not spirit.
That's not what D & C says.

Quote:
Number two the Holy Ghost works based on wave principles, so a mammoth number of persons need not be involved.

Is it possibly more than one person? Maybe, but probably limited.
Wave principles? What are those?