cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How you REALLY punish a rider

I agreed to go on a 100k ride with 3 other guys. Was stuck at stake volleyball last night until 11:30 (don't ask, it's ridiculous). So I didnt know that I was even up for the task.

After going for about 15 miles, we hit a less-trafficked area. The plan was to group up again in the town of Reston. So I started off going a bit faster. The road was brutal, because they had recently laid down gravel into the asphalt. Felt like an extra 15% effort because of the road. So for the next 10 miles I push it. Only Steve is now on my wheel. That's fine, but I was a bit surprised that he could hold my wheel. I wasn't going 100%, but still at 95%, I didnt expect him to hold my wheel.

We get to Reston. It's another 9 minutes before the other two rides arrive. Yes 9 minutes in 10 miles.

Steve is saying "man you pushed me to the edge" etc. Whatever.

So we have another 32 miles or so to get back. We take it easy and stay together. We get to the first big hill, I get over, the other 3 are AWOL. Steve has bonked. We get the to the next traffic light. We go. No Steve. Steve had tried to get on his bike and collapsed on the ground. He keeps going. Next 3 hills (called "the three sisters"), Steve cramps. 10 minute delay. Finally in the flats, I think Steve is going to be alright. I ride with my head down, going pretty slow. Look back. No one. Steve has completely bonked. The plan is to ride back, someone will drive and pick Steve up.

I crushed Steve. Complete total bonk after he rode my wheel.

When I am in the redzone, my competition is in the death zone. LOL.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

You have done well Mr. Waters...