cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost: What is going on?

I'm baffled. Anybody have any theories on where this is headed? My latest theory is that even the writers don't know. The show will probably be cancelled before we get any answers.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'm baffled. Anybody have any theories on where this is headed? My latest theory is that even the writers don't know. The show will probably be cancelled before we get any answers.
Nothing happened last night that surprised me at all. I was expecting to find out the Others have access to modern technology and could come and go to some degree from the island.

I liked the Sun back story. The character development is what I like most about Lost.

I thought it was a good episode. We're getting closer to understanding what's going on, and at least there were no new major questions.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the episode was boring.

I was hoping Sayed was going to put the beat down on someone and torture him.

I was happy Sun shot that chick.

Two or three more episodes before the 13 week moratorium? <yawn>
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Having served my mission in Korea, I love the Sun and Jin back stories. What I love about it is that the Korean dialogue is totally authentic. Usually what you get in this situation is something written in English and then a half-baked job to translate it into the native language. For example, the English subtitle says "very well" but the Korean that was said would be translated directly as "I knew" in the past tense which said that way means "OK, I get it" or "I understand". When the guy offers Sun the necklace the subtitle says "you shouldn't" but the Korean was "I can't receive this". As most people know, Korean and Japanese have varying levels of respect, which is very difficult to translate. Lost is very true to this. A lot of the tension in the Korean scenes in Lost is created by this language subtlety, which unfortunately you can't really translate into English, but based on the tone, English speakers probably get it.

Instead of an awkward, literal translation from English into Korean, it's like they wrote it in Korean in a natural way and tried to translate it from that into English. The result is an immediate connection and warmth for those characters. Anyway... it's cool.

Last edited by jay santos; 10-12-2006 at 02:44 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LOL. Seriously? Cancelled? Not a chance. That show is going strong.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
LOL. Seriously? Cancelled? Not a chance. That show is going strong.
Two words: Arrested Development.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
One word: Fox

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
OhioBlue

Quote:
I see your point, but to be fair, that show didn't have a fraction of the dedicated viewership that Lost enjoys.

Here's my question--the few people I know that are complaining about Lost want all the answers, and they want them now. Okaaaay.....then what? Wouldn't be much of a show. Also, many of these same people were clamoring last season to know more about these silly mysterious 'Others.' We're a whole TWO SHOWS into the season, both episodes dedicated to answering just that question, and already they are complaining that the show doesn't answer enough. LOL. My theory is that as long as the show introduces new questions at the same time as they answer old ones (which is clearly their MO), these people will complain. I'm just enjoying the ride, and the uncovering of the characters' stories.

To be fair, I do hope that the producers can find a happy medium: keep up the current formula, but please not for 8 years. Were this my show, I think I'd like to end it by end of next season or two, and my goal would be to end it before I lose significant viewership. Go out on top, make people wish there were more. Few TV shows are able to know when to say when, though, so we'll see what they do.

In other news, Smith was cancelled. Already. I actually was digging that show. My prediction for another show to be axed within the next couple months? Kidnapped. I like it so far, but I honestly have a hard time seeing them keep it going on fumes and red herrings. And then once the kid's found, then what?

Last edited by OhioBlue; 10-12-2006 at 09:42 PM.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
I see your point, but to be fair, that show didn't have a fraction of the dedicated viewership that Lost enjoys.

Here's my question--the few people I know that are complaining about Lost want all the answers, and they want them now. Okaaaay.....then what? Wouldn't be much of a show. Also, many of these same people were clamoring last season to know more about these silly mysterious 'Others.' We're a whole TWO SHOWS into the season, both episodes dedicated to answering just that question, and already they are complaining that the show doesn't answer enough. LOL.

To be fair, I do hope that the producers can find a happy medium: keep up the current formula, but please not for 8 years. Were this my show, I think I'd like to end it by end of next season or two, and my goal would be to end it before I lose significant viewership. Go out on top, make people wish there were more. Few TV shows are able to know when to say when, though, so we'll see what they do.

In other news, Smith was cancelled. Already. I actually was digging that show. My prediction for another show to be axed within the next couple months? Kidnapped. I like it so far, but I honestly have a hard time seeing them keep it going on fumes and red herrings. And then once the kid's found, then what?
Don't shoot the messenger...Kidnapped was already cancelled, but they're running 13 episodes and that will be the end of the series.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger...Kidnapped was already cancelled, but they're running 13 episodes and that will be the end of the series.
then that means.....I NAILED IT!!! YEAAAHHH!!! (sorry, Colbert moment there)

Well, I can't say I disagree. That actually would be a good standard approach for some of these shows--adopt the 'telenovela' style, not necessarily with the melodrama, get in and tell your story and get out. Within one season. Kidnapped I think fits that model.

Has anyone else been watching it? I love rooting for that Knapp dude.