cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default MWC RPI unbelievable

I'm so stoked about these RPI's.

UNLV 12
AFA 15
BYU 23

This is going to be the year we're not screwed on our seed based on RPI, I can feel it.

In the past, we had conference dynamics that worked against us. i.e. we had gawdy RPI but finished behind a MWC foe that had a bad RPI.

This year we are all three going to finish top 30 RPI.

The key will be being the most deserving or second most deserving MWC team. I expect UNLV to win MWC tourney on their home court. But that will be discounted by the committee, so it is up to the following.

If we can finish 1st in MWC reg season or tied for 1st with only one other team, and/or make it to MWC tourney championship. If we do that, we capitalize on these high RPI's and become a 6 or 7 seed.

If not, but still finish tied for MWC reg season and top 30 RPI, we do no worse than a 9 seed--and are favored in our first NCAA game.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

If San Diego State beats UNLV and us at home they are going to creep up there too. Do you think that it is conceivable that the MWC could get 4? Obviously this would take some major falling apart by some of the BCS conferences.

Right now I have seen the Aztecs RPI at 53 up from 72 before the Air Force win.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm so stoked about these RPI's.

UNLV 12
AFA 15
BYU 23

This is going to be the year we're not screwed on our seed based on RPI, I can feel it.

In the past, we had conference dynamics that worked against us. i.e. we had gawdy RPI but finished behind a MWC foe that had a bad RPI.

This year we are all three going to finish top 30 RPI.

The key will be being the most deserving or second most deserving MWC team. I expect UNLV to win MWC tourney on their home court. But that will be discounted by the committee, so it is up to the following.

If we can finish 1st in MWC reg season or tied for 1st with only one other team, and/or make it to MWC tourney championship. If we do that, we capitalize on these high RPI's and become a 6 or 7 seed.

If not, but still finish tied for MWC reg season and top 30 RPI, we do no worse than a 9 seed--and are favored in our first NCAA game.
ESPN currently has us as a 6 side with a rising indicator. UNLV is a 7 and AFA a 5. I can't ever remember that kind of recognition for the MWC/WAC.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
ESPN currently has us as a 6 side with a rising indicator. UNLV is a 7 and AFA a 5. I can't ever remember that kind of recognition for the MWC/WAC.

This has been the best conference core of teams since the Ainge, Garnett, Chambers/Vranes teams from BYU, WYO and Utah respectively.

That said, I think UNLV and BYU are the two best teams and I expect BYU to expose the Cadets in Colorado Springs. I think BYU and UNLV will win 1st round games and Air Force might just pull and upset as they are difficult to play if you are not familiar with them.

I intend to be there when BYU beats the U to win the conference championship outright. It will be a madhouse and I doubt such good years for Y hoops come around all too frequently.