cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default I'm worried about the game Saturday

Utah has a long history of really getting up for this game. And we just don't know very much about the qb they will have starting Saturday. BYU has done so well running the ball this season; I can just see Utah practicing like fanatics all week and suddenly BYU can't run against them to save their lives(BTW, NM only had 88 rushing yards against them last week). A couple of interceptions later BYU is down 14-0 in the first quarter.

If you glance over at CougarBoard you will find a whole lot of overconfident cougars. This scares me. I'm also afraid that the team is thinking the same way. You would think that three losses in a row to the utes would be enough to give them pause but you never know.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:51 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm not as confident about a Ute win this year...

as I've been the last few years. The way I see it, Utah will have to outscore BYU and with the loss of Johnson and Madsen I don't see the Utes offense being able to keep up.

The only chance I see Utah having is if the BYU team is overconfident. If that's the case, then the Utes could get the W.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

stop worrying so much and leave that up to the players and coaches. I can assure you they're adequately concerned. I will also offer the opinion that confidence is not a bad thing, and that preparing from a place of fear is NOT the way to prepare for athletic competition. Fear of mistakes, fear of losing for a 4th time to a rival, fear of what other people will think if they choke---these are things the fans obsess about, but thankfully not the coaches and team.

Could your scenario occur? Sure it could. Although BYU is likely to win this game that doesn't mean it will be comfortable or easy. Nor does it guarantee anything.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
VAX77

VAX77
Default cougarboard over-confidence....

does not equal team over-confidence

I guarantee that there are not any players who are influenced by the way cougarboarders are acting or thinking. To be honest, players do not often care what fans think. If they did, they would be schizophrenics(sp?) because fans are like women, constanlty changing their moods! As a player you just end up playing for teammates and coaches, etc. They always wanna do well for the fans too, but those same cheering fans will end up booing soon enough, ask a qb
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are you a former player?

all of my athletic career has involved non-revenue sports, in other words, we do it for the love of the game or sport.

The only time when I've ever had fan involvement came during an Ironman. The cheering there helped motivate me to continue. Nonetheless, I would never do something so arduous for a few cheers.