cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Funny Steely Dan connection

When my brother David and I were kids my dad was with UPI and used to get us free tickets to just about everything. We went to many Utah Stars games. The Salt Palace had no lazer light show, no organ, none of that kind of fancy entertainment. But there was this rock band and they played Reelin' in the Years over and over and over again. So when I hear Steely Dan I think Zelmo Beatty, Willie Wise, Ron Boone, Red Robbins, Bobby Moore, James Jones, Merv Jackson, etc.

Just to fuck up that idiot Santos' pretend spread sheet on my posts let me add this about next year's college basketball season. With the Utes returning 11 players, re-recruiting their three hot recruits, a top five center, and Jim Jesus Boylen, and peanut brain going NBA on BYU as well as Tina Young graduating, I think the good times will be back in 07-08.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
When my brother David and I were kids my dad was with UPI and used to get us free tickets to just about everything. We went to many Utah Stars games. The Salt Palace had no lazer light show, no organ, none of that kind of fancy entertainment. But there was this rock band and they played Reelin' in the Years over and over and over again. So when I hear Steely Dan I think Zelmo Beatty, Willie Wise, Ron Boone, Red Robbins, Bobby Moore, James Jones, Merv Jackson, etc.

Just to fuck up that idiot Santos' pretend spread sheet on my posts let me add this about next year's college basketball season. With the Utes returning 11 players, re-recruiting their three hot recruits, a top five center, and Jim Jesus Boylen, and peanut brain going NBA on BYU as well as Tina Young graduating, I think the good times will be back in 07-08.
I tell you what Wilbur: if I could play the guitar solo on Reelin' in the Years at speed I would probabyl play it over and over too.

I was a big Utah Sars fan (as you and I discussed some time ago on CB) but my old man had departed the home and my grandpa was a bread deliverer, which didn't leave too much in the budget for Basketball tickets. As a result, all of my memories of the Stars revolve around listineng to Bill Howard on the radio while looking at a bunch of posters of the players (I particulalry recall one of Glen Coombs in a 'Swan Lake"-like follow through pose after a three-point shot) I got at a give away at some Walker Bank branch opening.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I tell you what Wilbur: if I could play the guitar solo on Reelin' in the Years at speed I would probabyl play it over and over too.

I was a big Utah Sars fan (as you and I discussed some time ago on CB) but my old man had departed the home and my grandpa was a bread deliverer, which didn't leave too much in the budget for Basketball tickets. As a result, all of my memories of the Stars revolve around listineng to Bill Howard on the radio while looking at a bunch of posters of the players (I particulalry recall one of Glen Coombs in a 'Swan Lake"-like follow through pose after a three-point shot) I got at a give away at some Walker Bank branch opening.
That's a nice Horatio Alger story. Seriously.

Bill Howard was the best radio announcer in Utah history. No contest. He was the next thing to being there.

I should have mentioned Glen Coombs.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's a nice Horatio Alger story. Seriously.

Bill Howard was the best radio announcer in Utah history. No contest. He was the next thing to being there.

I should have mentioned Glen Coombs.
I agree about Bill Howard, but I have always wondered if my opinion is unintentionally biased becasue he was the one I grew up with.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Name me three players on the Utes team. Hint: Judkins, Vranes, Chambers have graduated.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post

Jim Eakins was in my ward when I was a kid. He was an awesome guy.

"Here come the Stars from Utah; here come the Staaaaaaarrrrrrrrs!"

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote