cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Things could get interesting again.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...te-cnn-partner

McNulty will undoubtedly be offered immunity by Congress in exchange for juicy details that he previously omitted from his testimony (if any such details exist). If such details do exist, Bush will really regret holding onto Gonzales.

Conveniently, Gonzales today announced that it was McNulty (who just quit) who really had a hand in the firings of the prosecutors. No love (or leadership) at the DOJ these days.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...te-cnn-partner

McNulty will undoubtedly be offered immunity by Congress in exchange for juicy details that he previously omitted from his testimony (if any such details exist). If such details do exist, Bush will really regret holding onto Gonzales.

Conveniently, Gonzales today announced that it was McNulty (who just quit) who really had a hand in the firings of the prosecutors. No love (or leadership) at the DOJ these days.
That picture of McNulty speaks a thousand words.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting? The Gonzales firings are interesting only to lefty blogs and Keith Olberman. I find the whole affair to be terribly boring.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Interesting? The Gonzales firings are interesting only to lefty blogs and Keith Olberman. I find the whole affair to be terribly boring.
I agree with this except that I'm a conservative not a democrat. The whole affair is not quite terribly boring to me despising Bush and his acolytes as I do and because one of the fired U.S. Attys is a former partner of mine who has been denouncing Gonzoles in the press.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I find it interesting because I would really like to see what IS a fireable offense, especially in the wake of Tony Snow saying that Wolfie the Great's indulgence of his ladyfriend "is NOT a fireable offense." Talk about firm resolve, Bush will not change his mind now matter how much it makes sense.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

How does anybody without a personal stake continue to be interested in these affairs?

I remember growing weary of Watergate, which was plastered on the front of the morning and afternoon paper. Since I delilvered the papers, it was a pain, seeing it constantly.

I wonder if a majority of citizens don't tune it out, just as I do now.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I find it interesting because I would really like to see what IS a fireable offense, especially in the wake of Tony Snow saying that Wolfie the Great's indulgence of his ladyfriend "is NOT a fireable offense." Talk about firm resolve, Bush will not change his mind now matter how much it makes sense.
True to form, you're willing to convict anyone associated with Bush without more than a cursory look at the facts.

On the face of it, it did indeed appear that Wolfowitz behaved improperly, and I was willing to agree with you. But the more I learn about the situation, the more it seems Wolfowitz may have been trying to resolve the problem in an ethical manner. It seems he was mislead by the ethics folks he was speaking to and they may have led him into a trap. His strong efforts at reforming an extremely corrupt World Bank are not very popular with the upper-ups there. This is their chance to submarine him.

That's not to say he's fully innocent, or that he ought not to step down. It just appears more complicated than a Bush appointee taking advantage of his position.

But good liberal that you are, you never miss a chance to take a cheap shot at Bush as a result.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
True to form, you're willing to convict anyone associated with Bush without more than a cursory look at the facts.

On the face of it, it did indeed appear that Wolfowitz behaved improperly, and I was willing to agree with you. But the more I learn about the situation, the more it seems Wolfowitz may have been trying to resolve the problem in an ethical manner. It seems he was mislead by the ethics folks he was speaking to and they may have led him into a trap. His strong efforts at reforming an extremely corrupt World Bank are not very popular with the upper-ups there. This is their chance to submarine him.

That's not to say he's fully innocent, or that he ought not to step down. It just appears more complicated than a Bush appointee taking advantage of his position.

But good liberal that you are, you never miss a chance to take a cheap shot at Bush as a result.
You are taking quite the position there. There isn't evidence that he was "led into a trap." There is plenty of evidence that his girlfriend was promoted and given pay raises that far exceeded the levels allowed for by the bank's policies.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul Wolfowitz fights against corruption, and then intervenes for his girlfriend.

This is like Eliot Ness taking a bribe.

Sorry, Paul, you should have had better judgement. Your arrogance got the better of you. Again.

Put in someone who will fight against corruption and will hold himself to the same standards he expects of others.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You are taking quite the position there. There isn't evidence that he was "led into a trap." There is plenty of evidence that his girlfriend was promoted and given pay raises that far exceeded the levels allowed for by the bank's policies.
Yes, and on the face of it, my first reaction was, "Oops, sorry Paul. Time for you to go."

However, it appears he consulted a bank ethics panel before going through with the promotion and they approved it. Moreover, it appears they rejected a proposal by him to recuse himself from personnel matters concerning his girlfriend. And the deeper the media and the lawyers dig, the murkier it gets from there.

Wolfowitz may or may not have acted ethically, I don't know, and I agree it doesn't look good on the surface. But I'll be damned if I sit by and watch folks like detroiddad who have no more knowledge of the situation then I do take an additional cheap shot at Bush unanswered.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote