cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting Romney clip

At a town hall meeting in Florida, some guy accused Mitt of being a Christian pretender. His response could have been stronger, but I give him credit for remaining calm.

http://blip.tv/file/151254/

I wonder why somebody like Mitt would even want to run for POTUS. He's got a boatload of money, his wife is dealing with MS and he's got 10 grandkids. If I were in that spot, I can think of a million things I'd rather do than have to deal with a job interview that requires me to deal with unfair attacks on my family, religion, intelligence, integrity, etc.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I can think of a million things I'd rather do than have to deal with a job interview that requires me to deal with unfair attacks on my family, religion, intelligence, integrity, etc.
No kidding. Especially for Romney. I can't imagine there has ever been another presidential candidate that's had to field questions about his underwear.

Well, except for maybe Bill Clinton, but that was probably in a different context.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
No kidding. Especially for Romney. I can't imagine there has ever been another presidential candidate that's had to field questions about his underwear.

Well, except for maybe Bill Clinton, but that was probably in a different context.
LOL! Very funny.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

That was the worst phrased, ill conceived question in recorded history. These kinds of questions still make me angry.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I find it interesting that now the "born again" right may have to decide between a Mormon who has similar moral values, but yet may not share the same definition of Christianity. It will either force them to resolve which is more important values or exposing their own bigotry.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
I find it interesting that now the "born again" right may have to decide between a Mormon who has similar moral values, but yet may not share the same definition of Christianity. It will either force them to resolve which is more important values or exposing their own bigotry.
Excellent point. My guess is values lose.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

This was one of the comments left below the video clip. I thought it was interesting:

As a former Evangelical Christian, I remember the tremendous pressure I experienced to view people of every other stripe of Christianity as adversaries. From summer camp to Fishnet to traveling roadshows, that particular flavor of intolerance was woven through my instruction. It's something that eventually drove me away from Christianity all together for years. However I don't remember the same attitudes toward Hinduism, or Taoism or faiths that ignore Jesus completely. I came to realize that the closer faiths are in belief the greater the animosity. I came to learn that any faith that holds no animosity towards their closest brethren holds the true spirit of Jesus.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This was one of the comments left below the video clip. I thought it was interesting:

As a former Evangelical Christian, I remember the tremendous pressure I experienced to view people of every other stripe of Christianity as adversaries. From summer camp to Fishnet to traveling roadshows, that particular flavor of intolerance was woven through my instruction. It's something that eventually drove me away from Christianity all together for years. However I don't remember the same attitudes toward Hinduism, or Taoism or faiths that ignore Jesus completely. I came to realize that the closer faiths are in belief the greater the animosity. I came to learn that any faith that holds no animosity towards their closest brethren holds the true spirit of Jesus.
Well said, and everyone should take note of that.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Quote:
This is quite accurate. You can imagine my horror when in high school I brought a (Catholic) foreign exchange student to church, only to find that the topic du jour was the "fact" that the Catholic church is being deluded by Satan.

as far as religion and candidates go, I find it interesting that Romney and Obama (Muslim/Christian) are both being scrutinized for religious practice, but four years ago no one said anything about Lieberman. This, of course, is because we just don't tolerate anti-Semitism. But other forms of bigotry are acceptable.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote