cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Your personal favorite Sports Experiences

I wasn't sure which heading to post this under, so I decided to pick Professional Sports, although any level of sports is welcome here.

What is your all time favorite in person Sports Experience. The kind where you were there and will never forget it because it was so awesome and you had so much fun and the intensity of the atmosphere was just off the charts.

For me I'd say 2 different times.

During the Jazz/Bulls Finals...I went to one of the Finals Games. Rarely have I ever been in an environment where the electricity was non-stop. It was the game where Stockton made the famous "football" length of the court pass that perfectly fell into a cherry picking Malone's hands and just the outstretched hands of MJ, and Malone lays it in. The game ended with Bryon Russell throwing it down and the Jazz were back in the series. The Delta Center has been the scene for a lot of incredible games and experiences I've had.

The other for me was the BYU vs. Utah "Harline is Open" game. We were sitting in the NEZ at RES surrounded by U fans....and to this day was the most hostile football environment I'd been in. We repeatedly had cups thrown at us,,sometimes with drinks in them and sometimes not, had people in our faces, dropping Fbombs on us, flipping us off, and one drunk old guy that was walking up the stairs after Weddle threw his Touchdown pass chanting the name "Er-ic Wed-dle" over and over again and then he saw his sitting on the end of the aisle and hawked a loogie at us,,and another lady actually came down and kicked my brother in the back while flashing a 10 dollar bill saying..."Some guy up there just paid me this to come down and kick you!" I'd been to RES several times for the rivalry game and had said things said to me, but this was the first time where outright hostility was occuring and having objects thrown at us and being spat upon. It was quite an experience..and to be honest...it didn't bother me that much. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...but It was just part of the environment that day. After Harline caught the pass and we basically dogpiled each other.....the fans walking by us flipping us off and those screaming at us that the refs were the only reason we won just made the win all the more sweet. The Colle 4:18 to me didn't have the same amount of emotion..I don't know why, but the year before was just better.

I'd have said the LaVell's Last Miracle or Staley down the sideline (both of which I was in attendance)...but this one the more recent one where even 2 days after it felt like the adrenaline was still flowing and the excitement was still all over.

What are some of the best sports experiences you've had in person?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

One that comes to my mind was when the Salt Palace was still open. I think it was the last year before the Delta Center. It was a Jazz-Bulls game, it went 3 OT and Jordan missed a few free throws to win the game and then in the 3 OT he got 2 technicals and got kicked out the game. The Jazz won too of course That was the start of the Jazz - Bulls rivarly. The atmosphere was awesome and we were on our feet for those 3 OT's. I also remember going to the same game next year and it went into OT too and the Jazz won again.

Another was the 1996 5A Football State Championship game Fremont (my school) vs. Skyline. The game was close till the end and went into OT. Skyline scored a touchdown and got the extra point, then it was our turn and we got a touchdown and then they decided to go for 2 to win the game, because our kicker wasn't that great. Well they went for it and out best receiver dropped the ball. We all thought we had won and were getting ready to rush the field, but we looked across the field at RES and saw Skyline rushing the field. That was sick feeling. But it was a great game I will never forget.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

My two moments:

1.) As a 6 year old, watching Danny Ainge go length of the court to beat ND. My dad was so excited that he piled everyone in the car and we headed to campus, once there, I remember riding on my dad's shoulders and celebrating with the rest of the students. Even though DA, later played for the hated Celtics, due to that one moment he became one of my favorite BB players.

2.) Saying to myself "there's no way SC is going to convert 4th & 9". Next thing I know the stands go silent, except for the SC faithful, when Leinart tear drops a pass to Jarrett. Couple of plays later, Leinart sneaks over with a little assistance from Reggie. Best game I've ever seen in person!
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
During the Jazz/Bulls Finals...I went to one of the Finals Games. Rarely have I ever been in an environment where the electricity was non-stop. It was the game where Stockton made the famous "football" length of the court pass that perfectly fell into a cherry picking Malone's hands and just the outstretched hands of MJ, and Malone lays it in. The game ended with Bryon Russell throwing it down and the Jazz were back in the series.
I was there too. The DC was so loud when B-Russ slammed the ball to seal the game, that the noise began to sound distorted and actually felt quiter. I was also at the next game, when MJ allegedly had the flu. (From my vantage point though he sure looked healthy).

I went to a 49ers-Falcons game about 10 years ago, the year the Falcons went to the Super Bowl. They lost only 2 games that season and one was at Candlestick Park; the Niners took them to the woodshed. They had 31 points and nearly 400 yards at halftime, and the stadium was rocking.

I also went to a futbol game in Ireland last summer, and the stadium was a drunken mass ready to riot at the drop of a pin, but I expected that going in. (Fuegote, suck it!!!!!!)
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at the Redskins/Bears game this year that sparked the Skins 4 game win streak into the playoffs...that was a pretty cool atmosphere. Our seats were right next to the Sean Taylor sign, so that was cool.

Every BYU/Utah rivalry game I've been to, win or lose has been fun.

There have been many others...
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have three favorites with Utah hoops:

-2002 game against #1 Alabama.
-1998 game against New Mexico, when both were in the top 10
-1991 WAC championship game, sending Utah to the dance at 28-3
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote