cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road
Default UFC 74 picks??????

Couture vs Gonzaga I'll take Randy as he just seems to dominate Jiu Jitsu guys throughout his career. Also, Gonzaga got lucky against a burnt out, unmotivated, and distracted Cro Cop. I hope we see the Cro Cop/Gonzaga rematch after Randy beats his ass but it goes the distance.

Huerta vs Crane....Toss-up. I guess you give the nod to experience and say Huerta. He seems to be the golden boy right now.

St. Pierre vs Koscheck. Will Kos use his wrestling to control the fight and stall out a victory? Hell no. St. Pierre is no Diego Sanchez and he is coming off a lackluster performance against Serra. He will be hungry, he will be prepared, and he will destroy Koscheck with superior standup, adequate wrestling and far superior ground game. GSP by KO round 3.

The rest of the card is kind of lame so I won't get into it but I am curious if there are any fight fans here.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
Couture vs Gonzaga I'll take Randy as he just seems to dominate Jiu Jitsu guys throughout his career. Also, Gonzaga got lucky against a burnt out, unmotivated, and distracted Cro Cop. I hope we see the Cro Cop/Gonzaga rematch after Randy beats his ass but it goes the distance.

Huerta vs Crane....Toss-up. I guess you give the nod to experience and say Huerta. He seems to be the golden boy right now.

St. Pierre vs Koscheck. Will Kos use his wrestling to control the fight and stall out a victory? Hell no. St. Pierre is no Diego Sanchez and he is coming off a lackluster performance against Serra. He will be hungry, he will be prepared, and he will destroy Koscheck with superior standup, adequate wrestling and far superior ground game. GSP by KO round 3.

The rest of the card is kind of lame so I won't get into it but I am curious if there are any fight fans here.
My picks:
Couture in a very technical fight (that most will say is boring)
St. Pierre- Koscheck looked horrible against Sanchez, but sanchez looked worse, GSP in a quick one.
Huerta over Crane- like you said he is the golden child and the UFC is trying to develop another superstar.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Coutoure vs. Gonzaga: Coutoure. He's cock strong, he has shown that he can take a on big guys in the stand up, his conditioning is spectacular and his ground game should be enough to keep Gonzaga from getting any BJJ submissions. I don't think he'll submit Gonzaga and I don't know if he'll be able to get a KO from strikes but he may get a stop from ground & pound and I really think he'll take a decision if it goes all the way.

St-Pierrre vs. Koscheck: If St-Pierre shows up with his head on straight he'll own Koscheck. Unfortunately, St-Pierre hasn't had his head in the game for a while. Apparently there have been some major changes in his crew including in the boxing area. I hope the changes and the time off after the Serra fight are enough. I pick St-Pierre on paper but in my heart I know Koscheck will probably win (just because I can't stand the cocky bastard).

Huerta vs. Crane: I'm giving it to Huerta. He has about double the experience and is younger by 7 years. I see him owning the lw class for a while.

Like you, I don't care much about the other fights on the card. I want to see Joe Daddy Stevenson fight (I just like the way he does things) and I want to see Kendal Groves get knocked out but I'm not in to it enough to give any picks.

Last edited by DirtyHippieUTE; 08-22-2007 at 03:04 AM.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
My picks:
Couture in a very technical fight (that most will say is boring)
St. Pierre- Koscheck looked horrible against Sanchez, but sanchez looked worse, GSP in a quick one.
Huerta over Crane- like you said he is the golden child and the UFC is trying to develop another superstar.
Couture a technical fighter? Since when was grab and throw and lay and release and shoot and grab and throw considered technical?

GSP should dominate Koscheck. GSP is the most talented fighter at 170 in the world and when on will win 9 of 10 fights.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

I went 2 of 3.

Randy vs. Gonzaga... There were big strikes from both guys. The broken nose early took Gonzaga's ability to breathe away. Randy just did his dirty boxing thing from there on; clinch, elbow, clinch, punch, clinch, etc...

GSP vs. Kos... My heart is happy. I can't stand Kos. GSP looks like he's back in form. I wasn't sure if he had his head in the game yet but I'm glad Kos got a beating and I'm glad there is controversy surrounding Kos for possibly cheating (grabbing his shorts).

Huerta vs. Crane... Didn't see it but wasn't surprised by the result.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Couture a technical fighter? Since when was grab and throw and lay and release and shoot and grab and throw considered technical?

GSP should dominate Koscheck. GSP is the most talented fighter at 170 in the world and when on will win 9 of 10 fights.
Sorry Technical was the wrong word, i meant more of a lay and prey style. I was expected Couture to try and win rounds instead of trying ot finish the fight. Instead he kicked the shit out of Gonzaga. He looked very solid.

Also Roger Huertas jiu jiutsu defense was sick, he was a witch on the ground.