cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What beat TCU in 2006 was John Beck's accuracy

Many of those pass completions in the 2006 breakout game were made with so little room for error. The preponderance of Beck's receivers were rarely open by normal standards but John was just dialed in that day. He only needed a little room and the ball was delivered there.

This TCU defense can defend. Perhaps they are softer against the pass than the rush but this is an interesting matchup. I don't think Max Hall is quite as accurate as Beck was. However, Max is one hell of a competitor and he tends to kick it up a notch when the stage is biggest. I thought he had his best game of the year last year against TCU when the circumstances were similar in that BYU had been a bit sluggish offensively for a few weeks and while the TCU situation was different they were supposedly putting it all together finally as they came up against BYU. So I am torn as I try to figure out what is going to happen in this game.

Will BYU be the first team to be able to mount any rushing attack against TCU? Can Max Hall be that accurate? Is the pressure going to make BYU blink or will Hall dial it up and notch and demonstrate why he is such a competitive lil SOB?

This is fun. BYU hasn't had a fun game buildup in weeks.

I do believe one thing in that if both teams play to their potential, BYU will win. I really believe when at their best, the BYU squad is better. Usually the better team wins. I believe if BYU scores 21 or more points they will win.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Beck was money that game and it really was the game that he made that jump to a really good qb. One thing that I think plays in the favor of BYU is that for a short week their offense is much more difficult to prepare for than than the TCU offense. Being cut short a couple of days of practice will IMO benefit Max and the BYU offense because they do have a lot of weapons to work with and game plan for.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

HL,

If you are planning the attack for BYU for this game what do you do?

Do you try to establish the run to show TCU that you aren't going to back down?

Or do you establish the pass and shot TCU that you are going to dictate your offense and not allow their defense to set the tone...
Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I think Hall's accuracy is as good as Beck's. The main diff I see is the arm strength. Hall tries to thread the needle and he'll get picks against a fast D.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Hall is a better QB than Beck. We can talk arm strength, accuracy, whatever - the fact is, Hall is just a better QB.

If this game comes down to BYU's QB play, BYU will win.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Hall is a better QB than Beck. We can talk arm strength, accuracy, whatever - the fact is, Hall is just a better QB.

He's not better than Beck 2006 yet. He's better than all previous versions of Beck.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Hot Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
HL,

If you are planning the attack for BYU for this game what do you do?

Do you try to establish the run to show TCU that you aren't going to back down?

Or do you establish the pass and shot TCU that you are going to dictate your offense and not allow their defense to set the tone...
I think BYU has to come out and establish a run game. There is no doubt in my mind that BYU can run against these guys. BYU didn't do that against New Mexico an IMO it hurt them early. If they don't establish the run and just go for the big plays then it could put the D and put them in a bad situation. TCU is going to try and control the clock as much as possible. BYU establishing the run helps the D just as much it will help the offense.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Hot Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
He's not better than Beck 2006 yet. He's better than all previous versions of Beck.
I would take Hall right now over Beck of 2006. That is just my opinion.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I think BYU has to come out and establish a run game. There is no doubt in my mind that BYU can run against these guys. BYU didn't do that against New Mexico an IMO it hurt them early. If they don't establish the run and just go for the big plays then it could put the D and put them in a bad situation. TCU is going to try and control the clock as much as possible. BYU establishing the run helps the D just as much it will help the offense.
I agree with this. I hear and read about Austin Collie saying the offense has to start fast and I think that is part of the issue with the lethargic play the last few weeks. BYU's bread and butter is execution and methodically crushing the opposing defense. This is going to be a fun game.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

I think the 2006 Beck is/was better. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the TCU game was the best of Beck's career and is better than anything that Hall has turned out. A couple of those passes were just unreal. I was walking around the concourse and was standing above the endzones for both the TD to Harline and the TD to Reed.

This is not a knock on Hall, who has been awesome. I just think he'll have step it up a notch.
________
The Cigar Boss

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:52 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote