cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Booing

I gotta chime in on the whole booing debate.

I agree that it is probably never appropriate to boo your own team's student athletes. It's bad form. If they screw up, I'm pretty sure they know about it, get frustrated, and are motivated to do better. They are trying their best out there. I'd imagine they also get an earful from their coaches when they screw up as well.

That said, I don't have a problem booing the other team when they do something unsportsman-like.

I don't have a problem booing the refs when they absolutely screw us with a blown call.

I think I'm still on the fence about booing our coaches when they make a bad decision. Usually that involves booing when the coaches decide to punt or kick a field goal on 4th down instead of going for it when the crowd wants to roll the dice. That shouldn't be booed. Throwing the football deep down in our own territory when we are ahead of Stanford late in the 4th quarter instead of running the football and grinding clock....I'm ok with booing that kind of boneheadedness.

Your thoughts?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
I gotta chime in on the whole booing debate.

I agree that it is probably never appropriate to boo your own team's student athletes. It's bad form. If they screw up, I'm pretty sure they know about it, get frustrated, and are motivated to do better. They are trying their best out there. I'd imagine they also get an earful from their coaches when they screw up as well.

That said, I don't have a problem booing the other team when they do something unsportsman-like.

I don't have a problem booing the refs when they absolutely screw us with a blown call.

I think I'm still on the fence about booing our coaches when they make a bad decision. Usually that involves booing when the coaches decide to punt or kick a field goal on 4th down instead of going for it when the crowd wants to roll the dice. That shouldn't be booed. Throwing the football deep down in our own territory when we are ahead of Stanford late in the 4th quarter instead of running the football and grinding clock....I'm ok with booing that kind of boneheadedness.

Your thoughts?
My rule of thumb is this: if you are doing your job as a professional (i.e., you're getting paid something more than a scholarship), then you are free game for booing.

This, of course, means that a good portion of the Oklahoma team may be fair game for Bronx cheers.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I don't boo players. At least I don't remember doing so. I didn't boo the punter. I might have turned to someone and said "our punter's a dipshit", but since he didn't hear me I guess it's OK.

But I fiercely defend the right to boo. When you play for a passionate, knowledgeable group of fans that boo when things go bad and cheer when things go good, it makes it more rewarding when you have success.

I think it's more lame to boo ref's, just because the average BYU fan thinks every game they see is the most poorly refereed game ever. I'm more embarassed to affiliate myself with these stupid fans than the ones who get irate at a punter.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Colly Wolly

More rewarding for who? You, or the players?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

I think it's more lame to boo ref's, just because the average BYU fan thinks every game they see is the most poorly refereed game ever.
Although in the case of yesterday's game, I'm not sure I've seen a group of more incompetent refs. Certainly the group in the Oklahoma-Oregon game last year had a bigger effect on the outcome, but this group looked like a bunch of random geriatrics yanked off the golf course when the real group didn't show.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I myself have never booed one of our players. I certainly have made disparaging remarks about their play to someone sitting by me and some people don't even like that.

AS far as others booing though I don't get too upset. The coaches have a right to show disgust if a player screws up. I believe a fan who pays his ticket price has the right to express their opinion too.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I think anyone who boos a student athlete is a total pussy.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 AM   #8
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I think anyone who boos a student athlete is a total pussy.
I'm with you dude.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU fans should be like Texas A&M fans. A&M fans take great pride in the fact that they never boo their own team, and criticize UT esp. for having booed their team in the past. That is, except for last year, when they had finally seen enough, and booed their team and coach.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU fans should be like Texas A&M fans. A&M fans take great pride in the fact that they never boo their own team, and criticize UT esp. for having booed their team in the past. That is, except for last year, when they had finally seen enough, and booed their team and coach.
They won nine games last year. What reason did they have to boo?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote