cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Humor me with a discussion on a simple gospel topic

Alright I rather enjoy the religious discussion on this site. I also very much enjoy the deeper discussion into shall we say more fringe topics. However, I am looking for a bit of a discussion on something that is more simple and more basic. So humor me on this one, those here who have much more knowledge of the gospel.

So what does it mean to you to plead unto the Lord. Particularly what does it mean to plead unto the Lord in prayer. Do you know of any good examples throughout the scriptures of people who have pleaded unto the Lord.

Thank you for your thoughts.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

a good example of me pleading unto the Lord.

Sitting in 3 story concrete building during a 8.2 earthquake that lasted for 60 seconds.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Matthew 6:

5 ¶ And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

So how does one plead?

We are told to go in secret and pray to the Lord.

How does one do this secret prayer?

One needs to have their Adam/Eve be one with the Spirit, turning their back to the world and offer up the thoughts and feelings of the soul.

Adam and Eve meaning the carnal flesh, and eternal spirit joining in unison of purpose and intent.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The book of Enos is a good example.....

He spends all night pleading with the Lord. Certainly, Alma the Younger did some pleading when that Angel swooped down like an Air Assault warrior and opened a can of whoopass on him.

I think that one of the keys of pleading to the Lord is genuine Godly sorrow and absolute willingness to lay ones will on the altar of God. The only real thing that mortals have which they can give God is their will. He can and will take everything else if He so chooses. He can take your wealth, family and stripper girlfriend's fake hooters. Everything we have is really His except our individual will. I believe that when one pleads with God they must be willing to give him their will. I believe one of the greatest examples in scripture of this is King Lamoni's father. After Ammon kicks his ass and humbles him, Aaron goes and teaches him the Plan of Salvation. At one point KLF begins to pray and says: "I will give up all my sins to know thee." That is a pretty amazingly humble approach that I think is a great example of one genuinely pleading with the Lord. This dude was a King, and probably a son of a King in a culture where the King wields absolute power. He probably was never told once in his life he was wrong about anything. However, when he was touched by the Spirit he demonstrated a humility and willingness that we could all do well to emulate.

Now if you are pleading with the Lord for the Elders to knock on the door of some elect women of illrepute sporting 36 triple D knockers, your prayers might be in vain, but by golly I will join you.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96
He spends all night pleading with the Lord. Certainly, Alma the Younger did some pleading when that Angel swooped down like an Air Assault warrior and opened a can of whoopass on him.

I think that one of the keys of pleading to the Lord is genuine Godly sorrow and absolute willingness to lay ones will on the altar of God. The only real thing that mortals have which they can give God is their will. He can and will take everything else if He so chooses. He can take your wealth, family and stripper girlfriend's fake hooters. Everything we have is really His except our individual will. I believe that when one pleads with God they must be willing to give him their will. I believe one of the greatest examples in scripture of this is King Lamoni's father. After Ammon kicks his ass and humbles him, Aaron goes and teaches him the Plan of Salvation. At one point KLF begins to pray and says: "I will give up all my sins to know thee." That is a pretty amazingly humble approach that I think is a great example of one genuinely pleading with the Lord. This dude was a King, and probably a son of a King in a culture where the King wields absolute power. He probably was never told once in his life he was wrong about anything. However, when he was touched by the Spirit he demonstrated a humility and willingness that we could all do well to emulate.

Now if you are pleading with the Lord for the Elders to knock on the door of some elect women of illrepute sporting 36 triple D knockers, your prayers might be in vain, but by golly I will join you.
You are the second person I have talked to about this who has said to completely give your will over to the Lord. I think that may very well be the key to things.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
a good example of me pleading unto the Lord.

Sitting in 3 story concrete building during a 8.2 earthquake that lasted for 60 seconds.
That's how I felt during the Northridge quake.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This is true prayer.

From 8th Chapter of Romans starting with verse 23.

For we know that the whole creation agroaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, awhich have the bfirstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the cadoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

24 For we are saved by ahope: but hope that is bseen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

26 Likewise the Spirit also ahelpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should bpray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh cintercession for us with dgroanings which cannot be uttered.