cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Huckabee=Howard Dean.

Sometime in the next few months, the grown ups in the Republican party are going to form a consensus that Huckabee is unelectable and will focus their support around another. It may not matter because I'm not sure any Republican is electable at this point (could change).
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Sometime in the next few months, the grown ups in the Republican party are going to form a consensus that Huckabee is unelectable and will focus their support around another. It may not matter because I'm not sure any Republican is electable at this point (could change).
what, exactly, makes him "unelectable"??
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I don't know if he's unelectable (thought I would bet heavily against him), but I do know for certain that the entire GOP power structure will be against him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, he takes crime and immigration off the table in a general election to start.

Wouldn't that be a turn, so see the Dem candidate beating the Repub over the head for being soft on crime.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
UtahDan

Quote:
The perception (fact?) that he is a minister and a product of the Christian right. I think that in the general election the baggage and stigma that Bush has helped saddle the Christian right with will be a horrible disadvantage.

I think that either Clinton or Obama would take him out to the shed. I only see McCain, Guliani and Romney as having a shot in the general election at this point. If Iraq turns a substantial corner by summer, it could be very different.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If Iraq turns a substantial corner by summer, it could be very different.
Please explain. I'm curious about how people think Iraq will affect the election. I am so set in my views on our involvement that I have no objectivity.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Please explain. I'm curious about how people think Iraq will affect the election. I am so set in my views on our involvement that I have no objectivity.
If by summer it appears that we have succeeded (the violence is mostly gone, the factions are around the table participating in the government, Bush is bringing troops home) then it will take a lot of the wind out of the "Bush lied/failed policy/bring the troops home now" mantra coming from the left.

If that were to occur, then it is possible (hey its politics, anything can happen), the 2008 election won't be about the war. I'm not saying I think that's likely, I'm just saying I think that needs to happen for a Republican candidate to overcome the Bush legacy and have any chance.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If by summer it appears that we have succeeded (the violence is mostly gone, the factions are around the table participating in the government, Bush is bringing troops home) then it will take a lot of the wind out of the "Bush lied/failed policy/bring the troops home now" mantra coming from the left.

If that were to occur, then it is possible (hey its politics, anything can happen), the 2008 election won't be about the war. I'm not saying I think that's likely, I'm just saying I think that needs to happen for a Republican candidate to overcome the Bush legacy and have any chance.
If you are right, and you stand a good chance actually, then this will hurt Guiliani.

Personally, I don't think national security is getting enough attention as an issue in this election thus far.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but Dean LOST Iowa, and then gave the famous "I have a scream" speech about how he was going to win all the other primaries. That undercut him as much as any "power structure" at the time. Just saying I don't see the parallel there. I have no idea what will happen to Huckabee. I can't imagine by any stretch he can win the nomination, but I'd love to see him try.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote