cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Jimmer

Nice article on Jimmer

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/241629/

I've been replaying the blue white scrimmage in my head, and I can't get over Jimmer's play in that five minute stretch where he completely took the game over and scored 14 points. He was the best player on the court during that stretch and maybe the entire second half. It's going to take a little while to adjust his game to D1 level: defensive intensity, consistency on offence, but this guy is going to be a stud.

We've been talking Plaisted/Cummard for a while, but Tav/Jimmer might supplant them by next year or even end of this year as the two deserving top billing.

One interesting note is Cummard's take on Jimmer:

"He's a lot better offensive player than I was (entering college)," Cummard said. "The flip side of that is I played a lot harder than him. He's not having a real hard time offensively, but just trying to pick up things, play with the guys. But he shoots very well."

Maybe Jimmer needs to pick up his work ethic? Regardless, the guy's an incredible offensive player and is going to be fun to watch.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If people are saying he looked slow, that worries me.

Because that means he looked slow against BYU, which is already slow!!!!!

How slow is he going to look against the fast guys on the other teams?

I think it will soon be obvious what kind of player he will be, when I actually lay eyes on him during a game.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Nice article on Jimmer

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/241629/

I've been replaying the blue white scrimmage in my head, and I can't get over Jimmer's play in that five minute stretch where he completely took the game over and scored 14 points. He was the best player on the court during that stretch and maybe the entire second half. It's going to take a little while to adjust his game to D1 level: defensive intensity, consistency on offence, but this guy is going to be a stud.

We've been talking Plaisted/Cummard for a while, but Tav/Jimmer might supplant them by next year or even end of this year as the two deserving top billing.

One interesting note is Cummard's take on Jimmer:

"He's a lot better offensive player than I was (entering college)," Cummard said. "The flip side of that is I played a lot harder than him. He's not having a real hard time offensively, but just trying to pick up things, play with the guys. But he shoots very well."

Maybe Jimmer needs to pick up his work ethic? Regardless, the guy's an incredible offensive player and is going to be fun to watch.
I really think that Jimmer is going to be a huge reserve for BYU. I am actually expecting a performance similar to Balderson's 05-06 (i.e. Jimmy's JR and Rose's 1st year as HC). Further, if Jimmer becomes such an offensive threat that will be immeasurable with Lee. I really think it will benefit Lee's total game if he is not the principle perimeter threat for 15-20 mpg. Should save a great deal of energy and allow Lee to be at his best defending the opponents best perimeter player in crunch time.

Jimmer, JayTav and Miles could be a very good combo. Further, what if Lloyd develops into an above average D1 PG by his junior year.....

I still am a bit disapointed about the loss of Garrett and am worried that the Roese loss will have more impact than we think.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8591
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I really think that Jimmer is going to be a huge reserve for BYU. I am actually expecting a performance similar to Balderson's 05-06 (i.e. Jimmy's JR and Rose's 1st year as HC). Further, if Jimmer becomes such an offensive threat that will be immeasurable with Lee. I really think it will benefit Lee's total game if he is not the principle perimeter threat for 15-20 mpg. Should save a great deal of energy and allow Lee to be at his best defending the opponents best perimeter player in crunch time.
Jimmer will definitely be a key reserve for BYU this year. Rose likes to play a lot of guys, but I would keep it at the starters + Miles, Jimmer, Morgan for everything but a couple minutes here and there for guys like Collinsworth, Rose, Loyd, Vuk.

By the end of the season, it will be interesting to see if Jimmer steals more time from Burgess. I expect Burgess to be a leader and a solid player and should hold Jimmer off. But if Jimmer does the act he did in the blue-white game with any regularity, there will be no way to keep him on the bench.

Quote:
Jimmer, JayTav and Miles could be a very good combo. Further, what if Lloyd develops into an above average D1 PG by his junior year.....
I'm counting on Tyler Haws. But you said he would play the wing. Why? I've never heard anything that would suggest he wouldn't play point. He's got the quickness and the genes, doesn't he?

Quote:
I still am a bit disapointed about the loss of Garrett and am worried that the Roese loss will have more impact than we think.
Yeah I am too. But it's the beginning of a season. Time for unbridled optimism. Pissing and moaning ends when practice starts.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If people are saying he looked slow, that worries me.

Because that means he looked slow against BYU, which is already slow!!!!!

How slow is he going to look against the fast guys on the other teams?

I think it will soon be obvious what kind of player he will be, when I actually lay eyes on him during a game.
Yeah he's slow. JTav is slow. Jimmer's game is very similar to JTav. It's obvious he's played in a million games and knows the game better than most do when they finish their career. He has a beautiful jump shot. He has crafty moves and can score off the dribble and create his shot. He has a very nice move where he gets down low and breaks you down going back and forth, creating enough space to back into you and hit a turnaround 10 footer. He makes the pass no one else sees. He's slow but that will only affect him on defense. And yes, he will struggle a little with D--probably his whole career. But trust me, he's gonna be a star.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Jimmer will definitely be a key reserve for BYU this year. Rose likes to play a lot of guys, but I would keep it at the starters + Miles, Jimmer, Morgan for everything but a couple minutes here and there for guys like Collinsworth, Rose, Loyd, Vuk.

By the end of the season, it will be interesting to see if Jimmer steals more time from Burgess. I expect Burgess to be a leader and a solid player and should hold Jimmer off. But if Jimmer does the act he did in the blue-white game with any regularity, there will be no way to keep him on the bench.

I'm counting on Tyler Haws. But you said he would play the wing. Why? I've never heard anything that would suggest he wouldn't play point. He's got the quickness and the genes, doesn't he?

Yeah I am too. But it's the beginning of a season. Time for unbridled optimism. Pissing and moaning ends when practice starts.
Haws plays the wing in HS is the reason I figure BYU is recruiting him to play wing. I agree with the rest of your post. I think Jimmer compares to Rose favorably except that I believe Jimmer is a more complete offensive player. Rose could do nothing but bomb, Jimmer already has a mid range game. While he is not extremely athletic he is athletic enough to get by his man, especially if the guy is closing out to stop an unnopposed 3 with reckless abandon, and pull up for a 10-15 footer before reaching traffic. Rose couldn't do that. However, Rose was actually quicker and a better perimeter defender than I think Jimmer will be--especially Rose's final year.

I still believe Rose will surprise you a bit. I doubt BYU sticks to predominately playing only 3 wing players. I bet Rose gets 10 mpg while Jimmer will get about 15-20 mpg. Cummard will play about 28-30 mpg and that leaves Burgess with 22-27 mpg.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Haws plays the wing in HS is the reason I figure BYU is recruiting him to play wing. I agree with the rest of your post. I think Jimmer compares to Rose favorably except that I believe Jimmer is a more complete offensive player. Rose could do nothing but bomb, Jimmer already has a mid range game. While he is not extremely athletic he is athletic enough to get by his man, especially if the guy is closing out to stop an unnopposed 3 with reckless abandon, and pull up for a 10-15 footer before reaching traffic. Rose couldn't do that. However, Rose was actually quicker and a better perimeter defender than I think Jimmer will be--especially Rose's final year.

I still believe Rose will surprise you a bit. I doubt BYU sticks to predominately playing only 3 wing players. I bet Rose gets 10 mpg while Jimmer will get about 15-20 mpg. Cummard will play about 28-30 mpg and that leaves Burgess with 22-27 mpg.
I've always favored a tighter rotation than Rose goes with. I'm sure we'll see a rotation more like you suggest. He does tighten it down once we get into conference play, though. That's when I see Jimmer potentially emerging.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've always favored a tighter rotation than Rose goes with. I'm sure we'll see a rotation more like you suggest. He does tighten it down once we get into conference play, though. That's when I see Jimmer potentially emerging.
Given the pace of play that BYU uses, they need much bigger rotation or they will wear down. I think BYU has enough quality depth that they don't need to have their starters all getting 30 minutes a game.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
"Puff, Puff give! Puff, Puff, Give! You are messin' up the rotation!"

That came from "Friday," and I admit that I enjoy black humor.

I actually like a bigger rotation with role players. I think this year will be a 9 man rotation. I think the 10th man will be Collinsworth he is the only one out of Vuk, MacGregor, Lloyd, Pinegar, Anderson or Martineu that I think will see any significant minutes barring injury. Vuk and or MacGregor could see minutes when the bigs get in foul trouble but Collinsworth is the only one that I think can earn his way into the rotation. Vuk and MacGregor will only play when those ahead of them cannot.