cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Utes getting screwed left and right by the officials but still playing well

with Washington on the road. This Ute team is the real deal and will contend for the conference championship this year.

Best defensive team in the conference hands down.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I disagree about the refs, but...

I'm indifferent on the outcome of the game (a win would be nice for the conference), but I don't see any significant edge one way or the other with the officiating. Two things stand out from last year: it looks like Kepkay will provide much better guard play, and the whole team looks like they actually care about the game. Very good hustle and defensive presence.

And I like watching Boylen, the anti-Cleveland. Steve looked like he was waiting for a bus much of the time. Boylen approaches Luginbillesque levels in his constant movement, but seems much more likeable.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Okay, a slight amendment to my refs observation.

I don't think the game was poorly officiated overall, but the last call on Nevill was bad, really bad. The UW kid draped himself on Nevill's leg and pretty much collapsed without any help from Nevill. Cheap stuff.

The Utes looked about how I expected them--much improved in intensity, defense and ball movement, but still a little short on sheer talent and athleticism. If Boylen proves to be a good recruiter the Utes could become very tough in the years ahead.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Utes need to learn to just play despite the officiating. The last two calls against Neville were pretty cheap, but Luke is to blame for the 4th. He just needs to learn to walk away rather than try to shrug the guy off of him.

Utes played well tonight. I'm ok with the loss because it will just make this team tougher as the season goes on.

Hostile environment + key players in foul trouble but still in the game = good experience.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I don't think the game was poorly officiated overall, but the last call on Nevill was bad, really bad. The UW kid draped himself on Nevill's leg and pretty much collapsed without any help from Nevill. Cheap stuff.

The Utes looked about how I expected them--much improved in intensity, defense and ball movement, but still a little short on sheer talent and athleticism. If Boylen proves to be a good recruiter the Utes could become very tough in the years ahead.
Nevill made Brockman look like the best big in the P10 instead of about the 9th or 10th. That was a battle of two average teams, it wouldn't be surprising to see them meet again in the postseason NIT.

Why do Utah's uniforms say Utah on the front and back?
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Utes need to learn to just play despite the officiating. The last two calls against Neville were pretty cheap, but Luke is to blame for the 4th. He just needs to learn to walk away rather than try to shrug the guy off of him.

Utes played well tonight. I'm ok with the loss because it will just make this team tougher as the season goes on.

Hostile environment + key players in foul trouble but still in the game = good experience.
Thanks Doug Gotlieb
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

I thought the Utes played pretty well given that many probably didn't expect them to compete, or at least expected them to fold down the stretch. (which they would've done last year).

My big concern was with the press. It seemed to give the Utes fits all night and other teams will scout that and try to take advantage of it.

Stephen Weigh and Johnny Bryant had really good games tonight, and you can see the potential that Kepkey has. This was a good early season test for the Utes and I thought they played well, inspite of the fact that there were pockets of time where they played awful.

It'll be interesting to see how good Washington ends up being, but you've gotta give Gregory Hines credit, he's really turned that program around.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Drca had way too many turnovers.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I agree with Funk that Utah is good enough to compete for the MWC Title.

Bryant had a good game up until he decided to revert back to the Bryant of old and started going 1 on 5.

Stephen Weigh is a heck of a player. Might be the best player on the team.

If Luke Nevill gets tougher then that's the difference between a 1st and 2nd round NBA pick....but he's gotta get tougher. I can tell Boylen is really trying to instill that in him, but he lets the other guy set up in the blocks way too easily. Offensively he's got a lot of tools to be very very good.

Tyler Kepkay is struggling a bit, but once he gets into a flow he's going to be a very good point guard for the kind of system that Boylen is running.

Lawrence Borha looks like a completely different player under Boylen. Literally night and day. The difference is astounding.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Drca had way too many turnovers.
Boylan needs to tell him that every other dribble should not go behind his back.