cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 03:50 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is gay marriage without gay sex...

grounds for excommunication?

What I mean is that they are chaste.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters

Absolutely it is.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 07-01-2006 at 05:42 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:05 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't you tired of this subject yet?

Who cares, most of us won't make it any how?

I may be unlikely to be exalted, but at I'm aware of the probable futility of my quest. What's the excuse of the rest of you?

Hope not yet extinguished?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that at BYU gay students are not allowed to hold hands or otherwise publicly demonstrate affection. It's obvious that as far as the Church is concerned, it's not just the sex act with which they have a problem. I don't know whether it would be grounds for excommunication, but I'm certain that the Church would definitely have a problem with a sexless gay union. They probably wouldn't be able to articulate the rationale for such a position, but I'm sure they would take that position nonetheless. At best they would offer some simple-minded proclamation along the lines of "hate the sin, but love the sinner."
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:19 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters

I would advise them to seek marriage counseling and a new religion. Absense of intimacy means the marriage is in trouble.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I know that at BYU gay students are not allowed to hold hands or otherwise publicly demonstrate affection. It's obvious that as far as the Church is concerned, it's not just the sex act with which they have a problem. I don't know whether it would be grounds for excommunication, but I'm certain that the Church would definitely have a problem with a sexless gay union. They probably wouldn't be able to articulate the rationale for such a position, but I'm sure they would take that position nonetheless. At best they would offer some simple-minded proclamation along the lines of "hate the sin, but love the sinner."
Back again slamming the church. You must really enjoy yourself when you get these opportunities.

The church has articulated it. Because Jesus Christ commanded it. Of course you're smarter than our Savior.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 07-01-2006 at 05:44 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Back again slamming the church. You must really enjoy yourself when you get these opportunities.

The church has articulated it. Because Jesus Christ commanded it. Of course you're smarter than our Savior.
The Church has absolutely not articulated it. They basically defer to the Proclamation on the family, which comes nowhere near close to addressing specific issues relating to homosexuality. I suppose when you're argueing from a position of weakness the most effective tactic is to say as little as possible.

You say that Jesus Christ has given an opinion on homosexuality? I must have missed that. It seems to me that he's been conspicuously quiet for the last couple thousand years. What exactly did he command and when did he say it?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 07-01-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

Quote:
The Church has absolutely not articulated it. They basically defer to the Proclamation on the family, which comes nowhere near close to addressing specific issues relating to homosexuality. I suppose when you're argueing from a position of weakness the most effective tactic is to say as little as possible.

You say that Jesus Christ has given an opinion on homosexuality? I must have missed that. It seems to me that he's been conspicuously quiet for the last couple thousand years. What exactly did he command and when did he say it?
Again in arrogant denial. The Church is VERY much against Gay Marriage and has been for a very long time.

I continue to find it amazing that people as yourself are so arrogant as to feel like they can tell Jesus Christ where to stick it. I feel bad for you.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Again in arrogant denial. The Church is VERY much against Gay Marriage and has been for a very long time.

I continue to find it amazing that people as yourself are so arrogant as to feel like they can tell Jesus Christ where to stick it. I feel bad for you.
I never suggested that the Church was not against gay marriage, only that they have never clearly articulated their position on the various complex issues that surround homesexuality. Much like you, they take a simple-minded approach and try to boil everything down to a simple "homosexuality: bad / family: good" position. They spent a lot of effort pimping the SSM ammendment and the only rationale I heard was that they wanted to preserve the sanctity of the family unit.

If that's what you consider articulation, then you have interesting standards.

You keep bringing up Jesus Christ. How is that relevant? Point me to one thing that Jesus Christ has personally said regarding homosexuality in today's society and I might grant you that continually invoking his name is relevant. But if your only argument is that Jesus Christ is at the head of the Church and therefore all criticisms aimed at the Church are invalid, then you're simply being intellectually lazy. And realize that by calling you intellectually lazy, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by non sequitur; 07-01-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

Quote:
I never suggested that the Church was not against gay marriage, only that they have never clearly articulated their position on the various complex issues that surround homesexuality. Much like you, they take a simple-minded approach and try to boil everything down to a simple "homosexuality: bad / family: good" position. They spent a lot of effort pimping the SSM and the only rationale I heard was that they wanted to preserve the sanctity of the family unit.

If that's what you consider articulation, then you have interesting standards.

You keep bringing up Jesus Christ. How is that relevant? Point me to one thing that Jesus Christ has personally said regarding homosexuality in today's society and I might grant you that continually invoking his name is relevant. But if your only argument is that Jesus Christ is at the head of the Church and therefore all criticisms aimed at the Church are invalid, then you're simply being intellectually lazy. And realize that by calling you intellectually lazy, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Point out to you one thing that Jesus Christ has said about Gay Marriage being wrong. Where in the hell have you been the past 2139502095892358 years?

Of course you don't believe in the prophet of God anyway, so the fact that Jesus Christ telling our prophet Gordon B. Hinckley and then Hinckley letting us know from Jesus Christ that Gay Marriage is bad and a threat to the family is going to be a pointless thing to tell you.

Since when the does the church have to be clever in making a point about gay marriage? They've been forward about the fact that they are against it and that from direction LITERALLY from Jesus Christ that Gay marriage is a bad thing.

Obviously it comes down to whether you believe Jesus Christ is right or wrong.

I'll side with him as opposed to a bitter apostate that sees fit to spit on Christ's directions.