cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BYU BB next three seasons

Next three seasons should be good depending on

a. Plaisted staying for senior year
b. recruiting Haws
c. recruiting a good 5 for depth in 2009 and to start after Miles leaves

2008 should be improvement on 2007 and 2009 could be best of the three.

Murdock (Morgan)
Burgess (Fredette)
Cummard
Tav
Plaisted (Miles)

Morgan (Loyd)
Fredette (Emery)
Cummard (Collinsworth)
Tav
Plasted (Miles)

Haws (Loyd)
Fredette (Emery)
Collinsworth (Hartsock/Abou)
Tav
Miles
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Next three seasons should be good depending on

a. Plaisted staying for senior year
b. recruiting Haws
c. recruiting a good 5 for depth in 2009 and to start after Miles leaves

2008 should be improvement on 2007 and 2009 could be best of the three.

Murdock (Morgan)
Burgess (Fredette)
Cummard
Tav
Plaisted (Miles)

Morgan (Loyd)
Fredette (Emery)
Cummard (Collinsworth)
Tav
Plasted (Miles)

Haws (Loyd)
Fredette (Emery)
Collinsworth (Hartsock/Abou)
Tav
Miles

Is Collinsworth not planning to serve a mission? I don't care what one says Rose is going to start getting questioned if Collinsworth chooses to not serve. That could mean that BYU will not have one recruited player currently serving a mission after Emery and Hartstock join the program. Further of the 13 scholarship players the only RMs would be Miles, Hartstock, Emery and Anderson.

I read a recruiting blurb earlier that said BYU was done recruiting for this year unless someone chooses to serve a mission, so my guess is presently Collinsworth is not planning to go. I just think that the fact that Rose has as many non RM LDS kids as RMs will get some attention from powers that be. Plaisted, Fredette, Collinsworth, Tavernari and Abuo not choosing to serve is 5 LDS kids choosing to not go, compared with 4 RMs and one who gave it the ol college try and decided it was not his bag, baby.

Regardless, I still think Rose plays this year as a back up and I also think Hartstock will be a 4 backing up Tavernari in 2008 and 2009. I also think Haws is going to be a wing player. Collinsworth might end up a 4 as well once he puts some meat on his bones. Time will tell if Anderson is the big you want or if BYU needs to go find another. In my experience finding a good big LDS 5 is not a rarity.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Noah Hartsock and Jackson Emery get off their missions and will be on the 08 squad.

Hartsock in particular at the time was considered to be a coup for the Cougar Coaching staff. He was the Oklahoma Player of the Year and was recruited by a bevy of big schools.

Whether that translates to production on the court I have no idea, but in any instance it'll be fun to see if he really is all that.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Noah Hartsock and Jackson Emery get off their missions and will be on the 08 squad.

Hartsock in particular at the time was considered to be a coup for the Cougar Coaching staff. He was the Oklahoma Player of the Year and was recruited by a bevy of big schools.

Whether that translates to production on the court I have no idea, but in any instance it'll be fun to see if he really is all that.
And he is serving in the Provo, Utah mission.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
And he is serving in the Provo, Utah mission.
Well I guess that takes the RM number down to 3, can anyone really count being a missionary in Provo or SLC as "serving a mission?"
Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Does BYU have commits for this year? If so, who are they? Perhaps they are among the names already listed but I haven't followed BB recruiting that much.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&cfg=bb&c=8&yr=2008
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Does BYU have commits for this year? If so, who are they? Perhaps they are among the names already listed but I haven't followed BB recruiting that much.
Charles Abouo considered to be an athletic 6'4 Guard. He's a slasher and outside scorer. Can also play defense and has the ability to create his own shot.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I should care more about BYU basketball. AT least they have a theoretical chance of winning a NC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Is Collinsworth not planning to serve a mission? I don't care what one says Rose is going to start getting questioned if Collinsworth chooses to not serve. That could mean that BYU will not have one recruited player currently serving a mission after Emery and Hartstock join the program. Further of the 13 scholarship players the only RMs would be Miles, Hartstock, Emery and Anderson.

I read a recruiting blurb earlier that said BYU was done recruiting for this year unless someone chooses to serve a mission, so my guess is presently Collinsworth is not planning to go. I just think that the fact that Rose has as many non RM LDS kids as RMs will get some attention from powers that be. Plaisted, Fredette, Collinsworth, Tavernari and Abuo not choosing to serve is 5 LDS kids choosing to not go, compared with 4 RMs and one who gave it the ol college try and decided it was not his bag, baby.

Regardless, I still think Rose plays this year as a back up and I also think Hartstock will be a 4 backing up Tavernari in 2008 and 2009. I also think Haws is going to be a wing player. Collinsworth might end up a 4 as well once he puts some meat on his bones. Time will tell if Anderson is the big you want or if BYU needs to go find another. In my experience finding a good big LDS 5 is not a rarity.
I read that same recruiting blurb and assumed Collinsworth is not going. I think BB players are more likely not to go on missions because FB frosh are more likely buried deep in the depth chart, so the mission is not as much sacrifice. BB players see that they can play right away.

Anderson is not the 5 I want after Miles. He is shorter than Miles and Plaisted and skinny as Cummard. He might be able to contribute at the 4 with time in the program, but I'm not holding my breath. I know finding a good LDS big man is not rare, but our timing's going to be off if we don't find a good one fast, and especially if mission is involved.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote