cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Racism

Scenario: Highy educated urban Jew from NYC falls in love with and decides to marry a redneck Baptist from the deep south. Someone in the position to counsel them (parent, clergy, etc.) cautions them that their different cultural backgrounds will put extra strain on their marriage and advises against it.

Is the counselor a racist? (Both are caucasion in this instance)
Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Scenario: Highy educated urban Jew from NYC falls in love with and decides to marry a redneck Baptist from the deep south. Someone in the position to counsel them (parent, clergy, etc.) cautions them that their different cultural backgrounds will put extra strain on their marriage and advises against it.

I can tell you that no good therapist would do as you say. Therapists aren't in the business of telling people what to do. They help the person explore the decision, and ultimately the person makes the decision.

Let me repeat your scenario a different way: these same two people fall in love and decide to marry. Friends, family, clergy tell each of them they have made a bad decision and should not go through with it. How useful is that?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I can tell you that no good therapist would do as you say. Therapists aren't in the business of telling people what to do. They help the person explore the decision, and ultimately the person makes the decision.

Let me repeat your scenario a different way: these same two people fall in love and decide to marry. Friends, family, clergy tell each of them they have made a bad decision and should not go through with it. How useful is that?
Fine. They don't counsel them that way, but they that's what they believe. Are they racist?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Fine. They don't counsel them that way, but they that's what they believe. Are they racist?
to advise deep-sixing the marriage solely based on the one sentence worth of information implies to me that they are bigots. People who can't see past the exterior, and only see the cultural tropes and stereotypes that they have been taught. My opinion.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
to advise deep-sixing the marriage solely based on the one sentence worth of information implies to me that they are bigots. People who can't see past the exterior, and only see the cultural tropes and stereotypes that they have been taught. My opinion.

Bigotry I can buy. My point is that the term "racism" is misused more often than not.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Bigotry I can buy. My point is that the term "racism" is misused more often than not.
is this thread for Lingo or something? T blue?

You could have simply linked to the definition of racism.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
You could have simply linked to the definition of racism.
In the other thread you said (or I misunderstood you to say) that you considered someone who gave counsel to avoid marrying across cultural groups a racist. Bigot, maybe. Racist, no.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Did the counselor teach them the hand motions to Book of Mormon Stories?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
MW was referring to mixed race couples in that thread. But nice job snaring him in the racism/bigotry trap you set. Brilliant.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote