cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have heard more than once, future scheduling

will include Div. 1AA (EWU types).

I am OK with that if 2 conditions are met. 1) it is only done in odd numbered years like this one, 2) it is one of the first two games during the year and we use that game for suspensions.

Number 1 is my primary concern. I just saw a ranking of teams over the past 3 years. SDSU, UNLV and Wyoming are ranked in the bottom third. We play them in the odd years, plus UNM. UNM isn't exactly a marque match up either. If we schedule a USU or !AA those years too, well that isn't exactly my idea of honor.

Even number years, fine. Schedule a 1AA. If you have a BCS school coming to town, plus Utah and TCU. It is an honorable schedule.

Don't anyone give me the big boys schedule 1AA schools too. The big boys play good teams in their conference. Take the PAC10 for example. We are excited to play Az. They are also ranked in the bottom third, but we are happy to play them.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. I hate playing 1AA. The only exciting thing about these games is if the favored team loses.

The best way to discourage this is not attend these games. When the attendance dips to 40k, and the mtn network refuses to televise it, we may be getting somewhere.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, if we're going to be playing 1-AA teams, they should be our season opener and basically serve as a preseason game to work the kinks out before taking on a quality team.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
... the mtn network refuses to televise it ...
Right ... the mtn and its army of loyal, angry viewers. It's too bad we can't know ahead of time which years will be "down" years and schedule IAA teams then. Reminds me of the Murray State coach who came to town a decade or so ago, "They need a win. We need a new locker room."

Just please, BYU, don't pull a Colorado.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Right ... the mtn and its army of loyal, angry viewers. It's too bad we can't know ahead of time which years will be "down" years and schedule IAA teams then. Reminds me of the Murray State coach who came to town a decade or so ago, "They need a win. We need a new locker room."

Just please, BYU, don't pull a Colorado.
actually, if you are going to be a pussy and schedule a Div 1aa team, I'm rooting for you to lose.

You can't be trying to break onto the national scene and be playing weber states.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Indy Coug

There were 76 D-1A vs D-1AA games in 2006. 44 of those games involved BCS teams. 44 of 63 BCS teams (70%) had 1-AA games last year.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
actually, if you are going to be a pussy and schedule a Div 1aa team, I'm rooting for you to lose.

You can't be trying to break onto the national scene and be playing weber states.
One could argue that Boise State did it with some success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
There were 76 D-1A vs D-1AA games in 2006. 44 of those games involved BCS teams. 44 of 63 BCS teams (70%) had 1-AA games last year.
LOL. Stop ruining Mike's world with facts, Indy.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
And I think it's ridculous when a team like the Univ. of Texas plays North Texas.

or A&M plays Lafayette Louisiana. I root for them to lose (well, I mostly root for Texas to lose no matter what).
Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Indy Coug

The NCAA made a big mistake allowing teams to count all D-1AA games as victories as far as bowl eligibility goes. That, combined with the addition of a 12th game each year gave teams significant motivation to schedule 1-AA teams to get a cheap victory and have a 7th home game.

For teams that used to have 11 game seasons, they usually had 6 home and 5 road. The big teams weren't about to take that extra game and make it an extra road game, thus you have the bogus scheduling you see today.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The problem is we're not BCS. By my SOS calc's, out of the 64 teams (BCS + BYU), we ranked 62nd in SOS. Only Kansas and Wisconsin edged us out for easier schedules.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote