cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When an elder comes home early...

A great young man in our ward came home early from the MTC. He was in priesthood meeting, sitting with his father, slumped over, hands over his face, not even looking up when people spoke to him or slapped him on the shoulder to wish him well. He looks absolutely devastated.

I love this kid a ton, and I hate to see him suffer like this.

Pray for him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I've seen this happen a few times, most recently with a nephew of mine. I think it may have been more devastating to his parents than to him. Of course, I'm sure it depends of the circumstances of the return. You don't say anything about that here, so i don't know whether you don't know, or whether you just don't want to say. In my nephew's case, he was able to get some psych care, some medication, and he returned later to a different mission. Regardless, I'm sure time will make things easier for the young man you know.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A great young man in our ward came home early from the MTC. He was in priesthood meeting, sitting with his father, slumped over, hands over his face, not even looking up when people spoke to him or slapped him on the shoulder to wish him well. He looks absolutely devastated.

I love this kid a ton, and I hate to see him suffer like this.

Pray for him.
Church culture is brutal on people who return early. Odd for a church predicated upon the belief of redemption. We need to do better. Those young missionaries need support and help, not isolation and suspicion.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Church culture is brutal on people who return early. Odd for a church predicated upon the belief of redemption. We need to do better. Those young missionaries need support and help, not isolation and suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Ah. Yes. Clearly isolation and suspicion do not occur at all based on this single anecdote.

Well done, Tex. Superior logic as always.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Ah. Yes. Clearly isolation and suspicion do not occur at all based on this single anecdote.
I'm simply preempting the usual ward- and priesthood-leadership bashing that threads like this inevitably lead toward (your post, Exhibit A).

It's appears in this case the young man has supportive people around him. Thank goodness.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 08-03-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
I'm simply preempting the usual ward- and priesthood-leadership bashing that threads like this inevitably lead toward (your post, Exhibit A).

It's appears in this case the young man has supportive people around him. Thank goodness.
Asking people to do better with respect to those who come home early is not tantamount to "priesthood bashing." The very fact that you think it is shows just how far down the infallability slide you have fallen.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Asking people to do better with respect to those who come home early is not tantamount to "priesthood bashing." The very fact that you think it is shows just how far down the infallability slide you have fallen.
Somehow the earnest call to do better sounds insincere when wedged between allegations of brutality, hypocrisy, ostracism and suspicion.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Quote:
Somehow the earnest call to do better sounds insincere when wedged between allegations of brutality, hypocrisy, ostracism and suspicion.
Except that the call to do better is because there is rampant ostracism and suspicion (brutality? who said that?). Hard to ask people to do better without telling them what it is that needs to improve.

If you think these are mere "allegations," you really are out of touch. The bishopric generally does well. In my experience, the members generally don't.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Except that the call to do better is because there is rampant ostracism and suspicion (brutality? who said that?). Hard to ask people to do better without telling them what it is that needs to improve.
Ahem:

Quote:
Church culture is brutal on people who return early.
---

Quote:
If you think these are mere "allegations," you really are out of touch. The bishopric generally does well. In my experience, the members generally don't.
We'd be arguing anecdotes, so I don't see much purpose. Rest assured, I'm familiar with the pain associated with a missionary returning home unexpectedly. I think you used unnecessarily charged language, given what Mike's original post said.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young