cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default I'm nervous about Weddle

Last year Watkins was only open 80% of the time Weddle guarded him.

Weddle on offense has me scared to death. I see him as the kind of QB/RB/FB/WR combo that can kill you.

I don't even want to talk about Weddle at punter.

Can Weddle hike the ball to himself or is that against the rules?

Seriously, I'm sure the guy is a talented player, but talk about much ado about nothing.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know Weddle from Adam, but when I saw the Utah vs CSU game I got to see him play for the first time this year. He got torched on two deep balls in the short time I watched the game. I'm sure I just caught him at a bad time but all I could think was "this is the guy everyone is high on?"
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I have watched a few Utah games this year. It is kind of fun to watch him play offense but it seems to me like they do it way too much. Almost as if it is more of an attempt to get him that all-american status. Seems crazy. But what do I know?

Frankly, I hope they play him on offense as much as possible on Saturday. Get him good and worn out so that his legs turn to jelly in the fourth quarter.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default then what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Last year Watkins was only open 80% of the time Weddle guarded him.

Seriously, I'm sure the guy is a talented player, but talk about much ado about nothing.
So if Watkins was an All-American and open 80% of the time Weddle guarded him why did he only have 2 catches for 22 yards?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
So if Watkins was an All-American and open 80% of the time Weddle guarded him why did he only have 2 catches for 22 yards?
Were you at the game? Watkins had Weddle by five yards deep a few times, it was very frustrating watching from the stands.

Weddle didn't guard him man to man exclusively and Beck didn't see him a lot and overthrew him a few times. Weddle's contribution to that victory was virtually nill.

I haven't seen him play a lot, but when I do it's very unimpressive. I'll have to trust you that he's good.

Last edited by jay santos; 11-21-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Watkins nearly broke Weddle's ankle on an inside out move to the endzone for a touchdown last year. What game were you watching?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Watkins nearly broke Weddle's ankle on an inside out move to the endzone for a touchdown last year. What game were you watching?
So, does one play make a guy a great or horrible player. If so, how does one go about choosing which plays will define a certain player's career?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default did not answer the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Yes, he scored one touchdown on one of his two catches for a grand total of 22 yards. I am asking why he didn't do anything more. Maybe Weddle is smart and didn't guard him close when he knew the play wasn't going his way (due to the pattern and Beck's tendencies, I dunno).

Was Beck so incompetent he couldn't see him? Didn't someone in the booth see that? Did Beck have enough time to throw it long to Watkins?

Who is on the roster this year with the skill of Watkins?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Yes, he scored one touchdown on one of his two catches for a grand total of 22 yards. I am asking why he didn't do anything more. Maybe Weddle is smart and didn't guard him close when he knew the play wasn't going his way (due to the pattern and Beck's tendencies, I dunno).

Was Beck so incompetent he couldn't see him? Didn't someone in the booth see that? Did Beck have enough time to throw it long to Watkins?

Who is on the roster this year with the skill of Watkins?

You must not have been there. You'll have to trust us. When Weddle guarded Watkins, he never was even close. I was interested in seeing how good Weddle was, but he was as just as bad as some of our white LDS corners. Utah played the multiple DB defense a lot of the game and Weddle ended up matched on Watkins half the game or less. The rush 2 drop 9 did frustrate our passing game, but not Weddle. Weddle also didn't do that well as a punter that game. When I hear about KW utilizing Weddle even more in this game Saturday, it only makes me feel better about things.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
So, does one play make a guy a great or horrible player. If so, how does one go about choosing which plays will define a certain player's career?
Absolutely not and that wasn't my point.

Just pointing out that beating Weddle for Touchdowns isn't as difficult as you guys would like to believe.