cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Abortion and being LDS

I was talking with a friend of mine at church today, and the friend learned for the first time that I am not a Republican. He was visibly shocked. After an awkward pause, he asked me, "How can you not be a Republican? Democrats support abortion!" He then mentioned that he had heard you can't be a good Mormon and be a Democrat (in a half-joking tone).

I asked him what his position on abortion was. "Leave it to the states! They can then decide what to do!"

I found this response to be amusing. I am hoping someone can explain this position to me, as it is one I have heard repeatedly from members of the church.

First, let's dissect his argument.

Position 1: LDS people cannot be Democrats because they "support abortion." They do this, presumably, by supporting the federal government's (namely the judiciary's) role in proclaiming abortion to be a matter of privacy that is protected by the Constitution. The end result of this policy is that people can have an abortion (with some limitations) if they want one.

Position 2: He would prefer that it be left to the states. This would require overturning Supreme Court precedent stating abortion to be a Constitutional right (which doesn't mean it can't be limited, by the way). Some states, presumably, would continue to state that abortion is legal in their state. Others would say it isn't legal. End result: People can get an abortion (with some limitations) but with a higher degree of inconvenience because they may have to travel to another state.

In other words, in both scenarios, abortion would still be legal in a large portion of the nation. Abortion wouldn't stop. It wouldn't even necessarily be limited by leaving the matter up to the states (though it could be- debatable). People could get an illegal abortion, or they could travel to get one legally.

So, why is Position 1 better than Position 2 from a moral perspective? In other words, why can a person who holds to Position 1 not be a good Mormon, but a person who holds to Position 2 can be? Isn't the end result the same, or at least largely the same? Is it more moral because it causes an inconvenience for many people?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

What does it mean to leave it to the states?

It means that my tax dollars don't pay for women outside of Utah who decide that the pregnancy is inconvenient.

What else could it possibly mean?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #3
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

I'm a pretty staunch anti-abortion guy, but I don't have any problem at all with LDS members who support the right to choose. Frankly, I'm surprised more people don't have that viewpoint since culturally we should be naturally suspicious of government intervention into our reproductive lives (or are we eliminating that part of polygamy from our heritage too?).

Quite frankly, even if we assume that the abortion plank is evil, no questions, asked, I don't buy the "you can't be a Democrat because they believe in abortion" crap. Republicans (generally and stereotypically) believe in leaving Big Tobacco alone, and I find that to be morally suspect.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
"
The issue is fantastically complicated, which is why I simply don't understand why many Mormons view Democratic Mormons as being immoral for supporting a party with a differing view on abortion.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Any issue that is complicated and does not boil down to a soundbite is beyond the reach of your average person. Not because they are incapable of understanding, but because interest level is low.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Any issue that is complicated and does not boil down to a soundbite is beyond the reach of your average person. Not because they are incapable of understanding, but because interest level is low.
But that is what is so odd with the abortion issue. I think the interest level is sky-high among many Mormons, but they still view it as being a black and white issue.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
"Leave it to the states" would mean return the nation to pre-Roe v. Wade status. It isn't a matter of constitutional concern; it is a matter available for state regulation. The states could then allow it or prohibit it as they see fit.
That's what I'm saying. I don't want my federal tax dollars paying for an abortion and I live in a state that would most likely make it illegal. So my money won't pay for abortions.

I'm all about keeping more money in my pocket. Perhaps it's selfish, but that's how I am.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That's what I'm saying. I don't want my federal tax dollars paying for an abortion and I live in a state that would most likely make it illegal. So my money won't pay for abortions.

I'm all about keeping more money in my pocket. Perhaps it's selfish, but that's how I am.
Are you suggesting the LDS "moral" position is about saving money? Or is that just your position on the matter?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Are you suggesting the LDS "moral" position is about saving money? Or is that just your position on the matter?
This is my position and mine alone. I should have clarified that.

I rarely view things as moral issues. I base pretty much all of my decisions on finances.

For me, a moral issue would be honesty in my business dealings with others. I don't cheat, steal or do anything that would cause financial harm, and it turns out that by doing it that way, I benefit more financially.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I can understand how someone could be a Mormon and not support the Republican party's narrower view of abortion. I don't hold that against them, since as some have pointed out, it is indeed a complicated issue.

I do have trouble understanding how someone can be a faithfully practicing Latter-day Saint and also support the so-called "safe, legal, and rare" policy of the Democrats. Everything I know about the Democrat party suggest they want abortion to be as freely available as possible, and if possible, free. The most basic of restrictions, like the partial-birth abortion ban or parental notification, struggles to gain Democrat traction. Heck, it's easier for a child to get an abortion than a tattoo in some places.

Of course, one can disagree with the party and still be a member of it ... so again, I don't think it invalidates one's credentials as a Democrat. However, to the LDS who support that policy I can only ask: how?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I can understand how someone could be a Mormon and not support the Republican party's narrower view of abortion. I don't hold that against them, since as some have pointed out, it is indeed a complicated issue.

I do have trouble understanding how someone can be a faithfully practicing Latter-day Saint and also support the so-called "safe, legal, and rare" policy of the Democrats. Everything I know about the Democrat party suggest they want abortion to be as freely available as possible, and if possible, free. The most basic of restrictions, like the partial-birth abortion ban or parental notification, struggles to gain Democrat traction. Heck, it's easier for a child to get an abortion than a tattoo in some places.

Of course, one can disagree with the party and still be a member of it ... so again, I don't think it invalidates one's credentials as a Democrat. However, to the LDS who support that policy I can only ask: how?

Again, what should we support in the alternative? Let the states decide? Make it totally illegal with no exceptions? Make it legal with exceptions? Tell me why any of those options are any more moral than "safe, legal and rare."