cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should Spanish-speaking wards be shut down?

I know they have shut down one or two in my stake in the past, because it was felt they were not functioning to a high enough level.

I.e. if you have the highest number of YM in the stake, but consistently the lowest number of YM going on missions, that concerns the stake.

But I understand that it was the white folks that were upset about the Spanish-speaking ward being shut down, because suddenly there ward was divided and not bi-lingual. The white folks complained that the stake was catering too much to Hispanics, and the white folks were told to stuff it and grow up.

I'm not a big fan of the [insert language]-speaking wards. Integration leads to more progress IMO.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I know they have shut down one or two in my stake in the past, because it was felt they were not functioning to a high enough level.

I.e. if you have the highest number of YM in the stake, but consistently the lowest number of YM going on missions, that concerns the stake.

But I understand that it was the white folks that were upset about the Spanish-speaking ward being shut down, because suddenly there ward was divided and not bi-lingual. The white folks complained that the stake was catering too much to Hispanics, and the white folks were told to stuff it and grow up.

I'm not a big fan of the [insert language]-speaking wards. Integration leads to more progress IMO.
I like the option to exist. If somebody wishes to integrate they are allowed to, but if they wish to worship in a tongue not so alien to them, then that is good as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

An Apostle (whose name escapes me) recently reaffirmed that it's ideal for members to hear the Gospel in their native tongue. FWIW.

That said, the branch I go to survives only because of the imported leadership from neighboring wards, otherwise it would be shut down.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Farrah was imported to a foreign-speaking ward just because they didnt' have anyone who could play the organ. so that meant I had to be imported as well, which sucked.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Specialty wards such as singles and foreign languages were created during the Joseph Fielding Smith tenure. For years I have been hearing talk about doing away with them; has it been like that ever since he kicked the can?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

My stake has demographic wards. There are two "family wards" where people go when they have kids ages 3-18. There is a Single Adult ward where unmarried adults attend together. All other wards have married couples with kids over 18 or under 3 and single people who don't want to go to the Single Adult ward.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

We have a Poly ward and a Spanish ward in my stake. I personally had to be convinced that the Spanish was OK to segregate for language reasons only. But to have a Poly ward to me is weird. Not all Tongans and Samoans and Hawaiians get along that well. Just because they came from the islands does not mean they need to be separated from the other (white) members.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote