cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is honesty always the best policy?

We signed the boys up for TetraBrazil soccer camp this summer, a camp run by real Brazilians. I know, it's a marketing scheme, but we wanted them to go to a camp and this was local and turned out to have a high level of campers (all playing on one of the local competitive clubs around here). In fact, the first day Noah came home not happy at all because his skill level paled in comparison to the others and he was the butt of a lot of jokes. But to his credit, he persevered through the continuing crap and actually picked up some skills. I was very proud of him.

My 8-year-old is pretty good and ended up scoring 3 or his side's 5 goals in the week-ending match.

The kicker is this. TetraBrazil notes that it has an all star camp for the "best" players at the end of it's 3-4 week run of camps in this area. Noah kept saying that he might get called back for the all star camp. I tempered his expectations, having seen the other campers play. The 8-year-old, who I fully expected would get called back, said he had no interest in all star camp; he had "played enough soccer this summer."

Today I get an email that the 8-year-old is invited to all star camp. I'm not surprised. Cost is $120. Then right after that I get an email inviting Noah to all star camp, another $120. Suddenly this looks like little more than slick marketing to me.

I'm going to tell them both they made All Star Camp, and let Noah bask is that faux glory. I doubt they'll want to go, so I'm not out the extra cost. I'm also going to keep quiet about TetraBrazil's blatant appeal to our collective vanity.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have any problems about allowing YourBoyNoah thinking it was his skills that got him invited to the All Star Camp.

I like that YourBoyNoah persevered despite the taunts from the other campers. I wouldn't know how I would handle my oldest boy if he simply persevered taunts, as he would have just over-asserted himself and pounded the crap out of the kid with the loudest mouth then let all others know that if they wanted to taunt him, they would get the same treatment.

But, back to your question - I've never had a problem telling a kid he was named to a baseball all-star team. A few of them didn't need to know that it was because the league rules required that one kid from each team had to be on the all-star roster.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote