cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ulcer

Okay so what do I need to do to start preparing for it? I know I just need to ride more, but how long should my rides be? As far as the ULCER goes, what do I need to bring? (YES, I know this is early...) Do I need to buy the double water bottle holder that goes on the back of the seat post too? what food do I bring? Is my butt going to be broken? MikeWaters said I need to worry about my dong going numb...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Okay so what do I need to do to start preparing for it? I know I just need to ride more, but how long should my rides be? As far as the ULCER goes, what do I need to bring? (YES, I know this is early...) Do I need to buy the double water bottle holder that goes on the back of the seat post too? what food do I bring? Is my butt going to be broken? MikeWaters said I need to worry about my dong going numb...

ULCER has aid stations, so one bottle could be enough. However, I bring my own food, and may use an aid station to refuel liquids. The aid stations take too damn long.

My wife's first century happened after two months of training, twice per week at thirty miles, upping it to forty miles the week before. Mine occurred two months after hopping on a bike but I don't recall how far. Point is, you don't need loads of miles to do a century.

I might continue to do a century each weekend, with lots of hills to increase strength. How many miles you do depends on your available time and how you want to feel after ULCER. If being trashed at end doesn't bother you, then you don't need to up the distance much. If you want to be spry, then I'd have some sixty, seventy and eighty mile rides beforehand.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
ULCER has aid stations, so one bottle could be enough. However, I bring my own food, and may use an aid station to refuel liquids. The aid stations take too damn long.

My wife's first century happened after two months of training, twice per week at thirty miles, upping it to forty miles the week before. Mine occurred two months after hopping on a bike but I don't recall how far. Point is, you don't need loads of miles to do a century.

I might continue to do a century each weekend, with lots of hills to increase strength. How many miles you do depends on your available time and how you want to feel after ULCER. If being trashed at end doesn't bother you, then you don't need to up the distance much. If you want to be spry, then I'd have some sixty, seventy and eighty mile rides beforehand.
I'll just do what I'm doing then. I ride between 20-30 miles 2 times a week, a 30-40 miler once a week and then I'll do a 50 miler once a week. Riding on Sundays really opens up the riding schedule.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I'll just do what I'm doing then. I ride between 20-30 miles 2 times a week, a 30-40 miler once a week and then I'll do a 50 miler once a week. Riding on Sundays really opens up the riding schedule.
The key is learning to refuel. The difference upon your body between two hours and four hours is not twice the same thing. Force yourself to drink as you ride and to eat, because once depleted, you may get to experience the infamous bonk.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 AM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The key is learning to refuel. The difference upon your body between two hours and four hours is not twice the same thing. Force yourself to drink as you ride and to eat, because once depleted, you may get to experience the infamous bonk.
I need to say the riding schedule I posted above is something I WANT to do, it's not something I'm currently doing of course. I rode 21 miles tonight after over a week off from the bike. It was a lot of fun... I can drink plenty during my rides... maybe more than I should. On my next long ride I'll bring a power bar or something. I need to get in touch with my club too... that will probably help!

"I'm on my beater bike"