cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cougarguard TdF COntest

Announcing the first annual CG TdF prediction contest!!!

Prizes will be given!!!

Prizes, awarded at my sole discretion, include old chain rings, ancient shoes with REAL cleats, brake levers that DON'T shift, and various other items. These prizes are real. THey will all be marked with indelible ink to commemorate this event. To win, you must have the most accurate prediction in your chosen category. You may enter in one or more categories and prizes will be awarded for each category. Here are the entry categories:

CATEGORY ONE :ITT

Predcit who will win the ITT in stage seven on Satruday. For tie breaker pick second place. For a further tie breaker predict the margin of victory.

CATEGORY TWO: KOM Jersey

Predict who will win the KOM jersey. Tie breaker is to pcik second place. Rude comments about Rasmussen's physique are encouraged, even if you don't pick him, and the quality of these ocmments will be used as the second tie breaker.

CATEGORY THREE: Podium finsih

Predict the three podium finishers, in order. Tie breaker is the margin of victory between first and second place.

CATEGORY FOUR: WINNER OF THE ALpe D'Huez Stage

predict the top three finsihers of the Alpe d'Huez stage. Tie breaker will be the person to pick the most correct finsihers. Second tie breaker will be most correct order of finsih. Third tie breaker will be based on cash gifts to the judge (that would be me, Creekster, in case you weren't clear by now).

CATEGORY FIVE: Humor

The most amusing predicitions (judged by me with the possibility of input from my firends, as long as they are not possible winners) will be awarded a prize even if they are wildly wrong. So even you non-bike types can play.

Rules and Stuff

All entries must be posted in the CG cycling forum in this thread no later than midnight PDT tomorrow, July 7 (I know that techinically midnight is the next day, but criticizing me for this sort of an error is grounds for suspension for the contest).

All predictions will be accepted, but the following are grounds for removal from the contest: 1) criticizing the typing or spelling of the contest rules or categories; 2) criticizing me, Creekster; 3) arguing that Eddy Merckx is not the greatest bike rider of all time (humor me here); 4) Editing any of your posts (I can't tell if the edit was to a prediciton or not, so ANY edit will disqualify that prediction); 5) taking this contest or yourself in relation hereto, too seriously.

More than one entry per category is allowed, but only the last entry is eligible to win. So you can change your mind, but we get to see it.

In general, I reserve the right to amend or delete or augment these rules at my sole discretion as might be necessary, but I give you my word on Seattle Ute's bible (can anybody find it?) that i will try to be fair and honest.

Finally, in case you haven't figured this out, the goal here is just to have a little fun. THe prizes are real, but not real valuable. Please everyone predict, and encourage your friends to do so, and encourage people you hate to do so. Heck, maybe we could even induce Lingo, Hoyacoug and our old friend Outlier to show up for a go 'round (and I'll even waive rule 5 just for Outlier).

Have a go! I think I iwll submit predictions, but I will not be eligible to win. And my predictions will come at or just after the deadline, so as not to unduly influence the weak-minded among you (sorry Bluegoose).
Old 07-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
creekster

So it has come to this? All you Basso and Ullrich lovers are still in such deep shock that you can't bering yourselves to make any more predicitons?

Somebody? Hello? Ferris?
Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

ITT, going with heart over head, Hincapie, then Rogers, then Landis.

Brains says, Rogers, Landis then Hincapie.

I'll wait on the others.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Here's to dreaming... American Sweep...

ITT: Zabriski, Landis, Hincapie
Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Have a go! I think I iwll submit predictions, but I will not be eligible to win. And my predictions will come at or just after the deadline, so as not to unduly influence the weak-minded among you (sorry Bluegoose).
So what time did you say that you will be posting your predictions tonight?

Just wondering.

And I really like your Valverde pick for the GC. I'm pretty sure he'll be in Paris before any of the other riders.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

ITT: Zabriskie first, Hincapie second. 4 second difference.

KOM: Skeletor

GC: Hincapie first Landis second Kloden 3rd. Hincapie by 3 minutes.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
So what time did you say that you will be posting your predictions tonight?

Just wondering.

And I really like your Valverde pick for the GC. I'm pretty sure he'll be in Paris before any of the other riders.
Yea, well if some of those boys in the peloton could learn how to keep their bikes straight Valverde might still be in contention. Look at it htis way, it makes your choice easier, right?

Hopefully you weren't so offended that you won't make some guesses!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Yea, well if some of those boys in the peloton could learn how to keep their bikes straight Valverde might still be in contention. Look at it htis way, it makes your choice easier, right?

Hopefully you weren't so offended that you won't make some guesses!
Oh, I'll make some guesses alright. First I've got to fast and pray about them. They'll be here by 5:00 or so.

And I don;t think losing Valverde made it any easier to pick the GC. I would have picked him to win it all. If anything it became much more difficult, as I don't see a clear cut favorite of the bunch.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Overall:

1- George (I think Discovery is sandbagging)
2- Levi Liposuction

George by 4'33"
Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
creekster

At this rate you will all be winners becasue I have more prizes than contestants. Oh well. Next year I'll try to get to it a little earlier.