cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road
Default Aside from my improptu run-in with Chris Cannon outside of Cougar Stadium in 2000

My most classic experience with a politician involves the infamous Gary Hart. I was standing in the lobby at one of the buildings comprising NYU Law School, and none other than Gary Hart was waiting near the door for his ride to come. Hart had given a speech in the school about a topic I can't remember.

Anyway, I've got to be the youngest guy alive that actually remembers when Hart was a formidable political figure and a legitimate candidate for the democratic presidential nomination back in 1988. I also remember the whole Gary Hart-Donna Rice scandal. So I kind of kept an eye on the guy for a minute and wanted to see how he would act when an attractive coed walked by. Sure enough, one came along and Hart initially acted like he was looking at the student newspaper, but he distinctly looked up and checked out the girl's butt (admittedly something I ALWAYS did myself at the time) as she walked by.

BTW, the Cannon experience was more memorable because it was my introduction to how unintelligent to downright stupid some politicians are. Cannon had some stand up outside Cougar Stadium before games during election time back in 2000. While walking to the game, I ran into the guy and started talking to him. At that time, there was a guy, I believe his name was Derrick Johnson, that was running against Matheson for the Salt Lake congressional seat. He had this banal commercial running that was something that could have been produced by SNL for all I knew. It was base fearmongering to the point that it seemed to be satire. Basically it showed a boy scout troop and Johnson saying how he supported the idea that boy scout troops should only have heterosexual scoutmasters, the commercial simply ended with the allegation that Matheson had his way the BSA would be the most flaming organization this side of the Castro District Film Festival- vote for Johnson to prevent this from happening!

I'm no liberal, but this commercial would have been repugnant if it wasn't so unintentionally funny. To my surprise, this commercial got brought up during my conversation with Chris Cannon and during the course of the conversation I learned that the commercial was Cannon's idea and Cannon seemed to be pretty pleased with his brilliance.

Meanwhile, Matheson has held onto the seat ever since despite: a) Utah being the reddest state in the union; and b) efforts by the GOP state legislature to gerrymander his district and ensure a GOP victory.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Derek Smith was the candidate. One of the worst politicians I've seen. The GOP in Utah's 2nd District seems intent on keeping Matheson in power with the poor quality candidates they continue to nominate.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Henry View Post
My most classic experience with a politician involves the infamous Gary Hart. I was standing in the lobby at one of the buildings comprising NYU Law School, and none other than Gary Hart was waiting near the door for his ride to come. Hart had given a speech in the school about a topic I can't remember.

Anyway, I've got to be the youngest guy alive that actually remembers when Hart was a formidable political figure and a legitimate candidate for the democratic presidential nomination back in 1988. I also remember the whole Gary Hart-Donna Rice scandal. So I kind of kept an eye on the guy for a minute and wanted to see how he would act when an attractive coed walked by. Sure enough, one came along and Hart initially acted like he was looking at the student newspaper, but he distinctly looked up and checked out the girl's butt (admittedly something I ALWAYS did myself at the time) as she walked by.

BTW, the Cannon experience was more memorable because it was my introduction to how unintelligent to downright stupid some politicians are. Cannon had some stand up outside Cougar Stadium before games during election time back in 2000. While walking to the game, I ran into the guy and started talking to him. At that time, there was a guy, I believe his name was Derrick Johnson, that was running against Matheson for the Salt Lake congressional seat. He had this banal commercial running that was something that could have been produced by SNL for all I knew. It was base fearmongering to the point that it seemed to be satire. Basically it showed a boy scout troop and Johnson saying how he supported the idea that boy scout troops should only have heterosexual scoutmasters, the commercial simply ended with the allegation that Matheson had his way the BSA would be the most flaming organization this side of the Castro District Film Festival- vote for Johnson to prevent this from happening!

I'm no liberal, but this commercial would have been repugnant if it wasn't so unintentionally funny. To my surprise, this commercial got brought up during my conversation with Chris Cannon and during the course of the conversation I learned that the commercial was Cannon's idea and Cannon seemed to be pretty pleased with his brilliance.

Meanwhile, Matheson has held onto the seat ever since despite: a) Utah being the reddest state in the union; and b) efforts by the GOP state legislature to gerrymander his district and ensure a GOP victory.
It was Derek Smith that was running against Matheson. Derek is my cousin by marriage.....and I didn't vote for him. I voted for Matheson.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Derek Smith was the candidate. One of the worst politicians I've seen. The GOP in Utah's 2nd District seems intent on keeping Matheson in power with the poor quality candidates they continue to nominate.
Derek SMITH, you're right, thanks. Derek Johnson= linebacker for KC Chiefs. I wish the commercial was up on youtube. The ad I'm talking about was akin to the SNL political ad from 1994 spoofing a possible ad from Ted Kennedy against Mitt Romney during the senatorial election from that year.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

My impression of John Swallow is that he's too stiff and campaigned largely on social conservate issues. That may fly in West Jordan and Draper, but it won't work in SLC and Sugarhouse. He was also a prick to me at a dinner party once so I had a hard time looking past that.

If the GOP ever wants to regain that seat, they need to get a non-LDS, moderate Republican who can appeal to the middle who don't like the Dems in DC. By national standards, Matheson is a moderate so he appeals to the moderate SLC voter. The R's need to make the campaign more about Nancy Pelosi than Jim Matheson, pound out the message that regardless of how he votes the issues, he will still vote for Nancy Pelosi as SOH. The party hasn't effectively tailored their strategy to that district. They're running candidates who would win in the 1st or 3rd district, not the 2nd district.

That being said, Matheson is currently the most powerful of Utah's three Representatives for a couple of reasons. First, he is a member of the majority party. Second, he's smartly gaining power within the Blue Dog coalition, a pretty strong subgroup within his own party. Utah would be foolish to vote him out at this point. If/when the Dems lose power, the 2d voters should reconsider.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote