cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default So my ward split today...

and several things shook out that I thought were worth mentioning as interesting:

1. The Stake President did something I have never seen done before. Near the end of his talk he stated his authority just as if he were giving a blessing by the laying on of hand and blessed the congregation. Anyone ever seen that before?

2. As part of the blessing he blessed us that we would make our homes sanctuaries from the world, the philosophies of men, etc., but that we would also prepare our homes as literal sanctuaries and that we would be prepared to recieve our neighbors would seek refuge during crises which are "surely coming", particularly those neighbors from the north (we live about two hours south west of Washington, DC at the outskirts of what you might consider Northern Virginia).

3. Finally, and this was maybe the most interesting to me, he related that during the previous week he had met with Elder Bednar and that he wished to pass on to us counsel that he had recieved from him, to-wit: (and I'm doing my best to quote now) "anything we do in the name of the priesthood which distracts from the spirit of the Lord, whether it be the way we dress or the language we use, anyting that distracts from that spirit is priestcraft."

I think the priestcraft comment is very interesting and may well bear on several discussions we have had here lately. Thoughts?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

My mission president, Elder Schultz of the seventy, often gave blessings from the pulpit. I have had two Bishops also do what you have mentioned and most recently my stake president two weeks ago at our ward conference.

Elder Bednar's comments are interesting. However, he did not, per your quote, explicitly state that shirts other than white will distract from the spirit. So the discussion will remain the same I am afraid. I know my language at times has distracted the spirit. I am trying to follow the counsel of James. Alas, it's a helluva lot harder than I'd imagined.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So my ward split today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
2. As part of the blessing he blessed us that we would make our homes sanctuaries from the world, the philosophies of men, etc., but that we would also prepare our homes as literal sanctuaries and that we would be prepared to recieve our neighbors would seek refuge during crises which are "surely coming", particularly those neighbors from the north (we live about two hours south west of Washington, DC at the outskirts of what you might consider Northern Virginia).

That is a very ominous statement, about ten years ago my wards bishop stood up and prophesied that our ward had been going through a time of peace, and that it was now going to be a start of a time a trial. We have had some very tough years since then.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

We received much the same counsel in regards to making our homes sanctuaries. Our Ward Conference was aimed at our emergency preparedness plan. Our last stake leadership meeting was completely devoted to this plan. We too have been counseled in an emergency that we are to 1) Take up shelter and bunker down, 2) Evacuate the DC area to the south, and 3) Be prepared to receive others that have been displaced. This saturday we are having a stake wide communications drill.

I live equidistant between Richmond and DC. Also, our Bishop asked us in a meeting last week if we would have the faith to live the law of conseceration and bring all of our food storage to one location to share with everyone and live off rations shared with other members and non-members alike. Our stake presidency stressed also that they felt that a crisis was imminent in the NoVA/DC area. Our stake president said that he has had several strong impressions that it was to occur during his presidency. Mind you he is in his 10th year as stake president.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
We received much the same counsel in regards to making our homes sanctuaries. Our Ward Conference was aimed at our emergency preparedness plan. Our last stake leadership meeting was completely devoted to this plan. We too have been counseled in an emergency that we are to 1) Take up shelter and bunker down, 2) Evacuate the DC area to the south, and 3) Be prepared to receive others that have been displaced. This saturday we are having a stake wide communications drill.

I live equidistant between Richmond and DC. Also, our Bishop asked us in a meeting last week if we would have the faith to live the law of conseceration and bring all of our food storage to one location to share with everyone and live off rations shared with other members and non-members alike. Our stake presidency stressed also that they felt that a crisis was imminent in the NoVA/DC area. Our stake president said that he has had several strong impressions that it was to occur during his presidency. Mind you he is in his 10th year as stake president.
Sounds to me like we are in the same stake. If you are in the Fredericksburg stake we are. I am in the Culpeper ward.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds to me like we are in the same stake. If you are in the Fredericksburg stake we are. I am in the Culpeper ward.
I am. Then I am sure you are well familiar with the emergency preparedness program from Bishop Paul. What did they name the new Ward? Culpepper 2nd? Who's the bishop?

Old 02-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #7
UtahDan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am. Then I am sure you are well familiar with the emergency preparedness program from Bishop Paul. What did they name the new Ward? Culpepper 2nd? Who's the bishop?
It is called the Piedmont ward. All of Orange and Madison are now Piedmont. In Culpeper, the boundary is Rt. 29 coming out of Madison, then Business 29 going right down Main Street in Culeper, then picking up again on 29 proper. Everything south is Piedmont. Everything Northi including Rappahanock County in still Culpeper. President also indicated that there are enough members in the area for two more wards and that this was just the first of many divisions.

My guess is that in ten years from now we will not be part of Fredericksburg stake anymore. Maybe sooner than that.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:56 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

crap, I'm just trying to get a job.

and now I have the complete collapse of the eastern seaboard to worry about.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Firearms is always a tricky thing.

If you live by the sword you will die by the sword. Or so it says. Surely the arm of God is more powerful than the arm of flesh.

OTOH, sometimes God expects us to prepare our own defense. "We believe in God, but we keep the gunpowder dry."

OBL has always warned us before his attacks. But I'm trying to imagine what sort of situation could arise that would be regional and require that local saints give their food storage to the bishop for disbursement. That could only happen in the case of widespread infrastructure breakdown (i.e. no help coming in from outside, and no incentive to get away). If a nuke went off, surely everyone would leave.

I'd had this feeling for a year or two that it was time to be prepared. I don't know if it was particularly inspired or not. There is much that we still need. .223 ammunition is not one of those things though.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:01 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

The threat is more real than most people realize. There have been many times when my father has come home from his work and advised us that there was a possibility of some impending danger and to be ready to evacuate to our designated routes if need be.

If the general public only had a glimpse of the dangers we face daily we would live in utter fear.