cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Andy Reid a viable option....

for a BYU coach with the new revelations about his drug filled residence?

Do parents not search through kids shit?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If every parent in the church who had a son or daughter with a substance abuse problem was considered to be a moral failure, then I think we would have a lot of parents released from callings, etc.

People not familiar with substance abuse, esp. those that are prone to think of substance use as a moral failure, are more likely to judge harshly.

the choices faced by a parent of an addict are often difficult.

Now if your question is a political one, that's a different issue, but related. would he be excluded if he had a son that committed suicide (dungee)? I would hope not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
for a BYU coach with the new revelations about his drug filled residence?

Do parents not search through kids shit?
I think there is compassion in the gospel for parents of wayward children. I think most people don't blame the parents.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I think there is compassion in the gospel for parents of wayward children. I think most people don't blame the parents.
There is compassion for those parents you know. Neigbors, relatives or other ward members.

The compassion wanes a bit the further one is removed personally from the situation.

One only has to read posts on TBS or CB concerning parents and what they have done to mess up their kids. I have seen parents blamed for their kids not being worthy enough to get into BYU on a football scholarship.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If every parent in the church who had a son or daughter with a substance abuse problem was considered to be a moral failure, then I think we would have a lot of parents released from callings, etc.

People not familiar with substance abuse, esp. those that are prone to think of substance use as a moral failure, are more likely to judge harshly.

the choices faced by a parent of an addict are often difficult.

Now if your question is a political one, that's a different issue, but related. would he be excluded if he had a son that committed suicide (dungee)? I would hope not.
I don't know if he failed as a parent or not. I'm sure all parents fail on one level or another. My parents failed me in many aspects and I'll fail my kids, and they'll fail their kids, etc.

The judge in the case is making it appear that Andy Reid is virtually complicit with his boys exploits. He doesn't think Andy's boys have 'a support system at home, that their home is a drug emporium, and that the family is in crisis.'
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not one who would blame the parents, it's happened to some of the best. I do have a hard time with rich, privileged kids who go so far astray. These guys had it made and look what they did with it. They could hang out with Pro athletes and coaches all day every day, getting sage advice from people who are driven and are successes. Instead they choose dope dealing.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised TO hasn't said anything about Reid's kids this week in the leadup to Philly-Dallas.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote