cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prayer

Do you feel like praying everyday is helping you? If so, how? If you don't feel like praying to God is helping you, you've probably already stopped.

Also, why do people who grow up in the church stop praying? Laziness? They don't believe it will help? They don't feel like they have a real relationship with God?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
bYuPride

yes, i know this is a primary question, just humor me.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Do you feel like praying everyday is helping you? If so, how? If you don't feel like praying to God is helping you, you've probably already stopped.

Also, why do people who grow up in the church stop praying? Laziness? They don't believe it will help? They don't feel like they have a real relationship with God?
Laziness IMO. I have been guilty of this from time to time and it has always been laziness.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Laziness IMO. I have been guilty of this from time to time and it has always been laziness.
Do you have to worry about special place,time,clothing and positions while praying as we muslims do?? if no .... whats the point of laziness??

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 11-13-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
Do you have to worry about special place,time,clothing and positions while praying as we muslims do?? if no .... whats the point of laziness??
Special place, clothing and postitions...sounds more like concerns about sex.

Years ago I spent a year in Bosnia babysitting Bosnian Serbs, Slavic Muslims and ethnic Croats. It always killed me that any-freaking-time my patrols drove through a Slavic Muslim community the call to prayer tunes would start blaring from the Mosque. Nobody ever went in that direction, but it was always time to pray. I think the issue was the very bad teethe of their womenfolk. If the Slavic Muslim ladies had better teethe methinks the idea of 50 of em hot and horny waiting for one in the afterlife might have been more appealing. However, most menfolk have scraped their fingers on jagged teethe and I doubt they want other extremities to be exposed to such potential dangers.

Some might think the Slavic Muslims are just too european for the militant wings of Islam to take root, but I think it goes back to the dentist offices closing when those folks were randomly lobbing mortar rounds around each other.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
bYuPride

i find that when i'm in a prayer drought it has to do with not managing my time well enough to talk with the Almighty. I get into other routines and habits. It's amazing to me to realize how easy it is to get out of the routine.

my dad is a bishop and says, when someone comes to him about a serious sin or is inactive, one of the first questions he asks if not the first is, "when did you stop praying?" almost without fail that's where it starts.

not sure where I'm going with this, just was on my mind today.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Special place, clothing and postitions...sounds more like concerns about sex.
Why i am not surprised?

Quote:
Years ago I spent a year in Bosnia babysitting Bosnian Serbs, Slavic Muslims and ethnic Croats. It always killed me that any-freaking-time my patrols drove through a Slavic Muslim community the call to prayer tunes would start blaring from the Mosque.
Nice to know you got to hear muslim prayer clamor and apparently quite enjoyed it . while there is a Zero possibility that the prayer tune would be started in your honor at any time you passed by , here is the explanation...

The muslims prayer is not "always" as you described ..there is a prayer at noon and one prayer after sun set and one befor dawn ...but some muslims countries (mostly sunnies) would prefer to announce it (the tune= Azan) for each prayer ...but some other countires mostly shia like Iran would not ..

so all the prayer tunes you might get to hear during the day ,are twice. i am quite sure you wont catch the third prayer tune which is announced befor dawn..since you likely would be busy dreaming about good teeth and stuff...

Quote:
Nobody ever went in that direction, but it was always time to pray.
NO muslim has to show up in the mosque for prayer and he doesnot have to feel ashamed or guilty of not going there either.. it all depends on where you feel more comfortable praying .

nevertheless muslims do appreciate the value of this great opportunity to meet and accompany their muslims peer in prayer and engineering thier religious ,social and political's projects.

for a record ,i havenot attended in any mosques to pray for ages ..i amnot proud of it though..just for your sake of information.

no idea what picture you were trying to portray in the rest of your post (like most of your posts) ..and should better not looking for any one else 's help since Barbara Gordon abandoned the board.

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 11-28-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
Why i am not surprised?

Nice to know you got to hear muslim prayer clamor and apparently quite enjoyed it . while there is a Zero possibility that the prayer tune would be started in your honor at any time you passed by , here is the explanation...

The muslims prayer is not "always" as you described ..there is a prayer at noon and one prayer after sun set and one befor dawn ...but some muslims countries (mostly sunnies) would prefer to announce it (the tune= Azan) for each prayer ...but some other countires mostly shia like Iran would not ..

so all the prayer tunes you might get to hear during the day ,are twice. i am quite sure you wont catch the third prayer tune which is announced befor dawn..since you likely would be busy dreaming about good teeth and stuff...

NO muslim has to show up in the mosque for prayer and he doesnot have to feel ashamed or guilty of not going there either.. it all depends on where you feel more comfortable praying .

nevertheless muslims do appreciate the value of this great opportunity to meet and accompany their muslims peer in prayer and engineering thier religious ,social and political's projects.

for a record ,i havenot attended in any mosques for prayer in ages ..i amnot proud of it though..just for your sake of information.

no idea what picture you were trying to portray in the rest of your post (like most of your posts) ..and should better not looking for any one else 's help since Barbara Gordon abandoned the board.
Perhaps you missed my sarcasm...the point was that in the lands in Bosnia under control of the Slavic Muslims they purposely blasted their music to appear as if their religion was fundamentally important to them. Anyone aware of when Muslim prayer time is was aware that the music being played at 2:27 pm was an effort to appear pious for their American military friends. It made me laugh because it was so transparent.

You see the folks were never trully Muslim in that part of the world. They were wealthy ethnic Serbs or Croats who converted when the Ottoman Turks conquered that part of the world because according to the interpretations of Islam applied by the OTs if a conquered subject converts to Islam he can continue to own his property. Hence the entire conflict, IMO, has its roots in the whole "the man is keeping me down!"

The part on the teethe is totally true. Very bad teethe in that part of the world. Kresimir Cosic should have become a dentist if he really wanted to bring Celestial Relief to our friends of the Southern Balkan states.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Last Wednesday afternoon my home was burglarized while I was at the temple and my roommate was at work. In prayer that morning I did not ask God to protect my home. I've asked for that in the past, but feel doing so every day is just going down a monotonous checklist.

Should I assume had I asked for protection in prayer, my home would have been passed over?

Should I assume the night Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped, neither of her parents prayed for the safety of their children? I mean sure she was eventually returned alive, but not after being routinely raped for nine months.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post

I don't feel a great benefit in praying every day but I continue to do it because it is habit and it is part of my faith. I think people who grow up in the church and stop praying usually do so because they go through a crisis of faith and come out the other end without a belief in the value of the action.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote