cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Great hidden gem television shows

Anyone have a not so mainstream favorite television show? Here are a couple that have cult followings or are popular with smaller segments of people, and they are truly outstanding television shows:

1. Veronica Mars--It is on UPN. It is drama, mystery and funniness all wrapped into one. I have plugged this show before and I will plug it once again. It is on Wednesday nights and it is fabulous.

2. Battlestar Galactica--it is on the SciFi channel. I started watching 3 weeks ago and I have now seen the miniseries, first season and I am halfway thru the 2nd season. It is a great show and well worth the rental or dvd purchase. Great character development, conflict and drama. Thanks to those that put me on it.

3. Flip this House (it is on A&E on Monday nights and Sunday afternoons)--This is a show on a company (Trademark Properties) out of South Carolina that flips homes after totally changing them. You get to know the individuals of the company and what they are doing. It is a terrific show and if you are interested in just watching what people do with real estate, it is terrific.

4. Addiction (A&E): A very uncomfortable show about one or two people that are drug addicted and their families are trying to get them thru their addiction. The drug addict thinks they are doing a story on drugs when it really will turn out to be an intervention. Painful, sad and at the end, possible hopeful if the person gives drug treatment a chance.

Any other not so mainstream shows should I give a chance?
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Absolutely love BSG. Great show. Didn't like the season finale though.

Give The Shield a chance. It is great also.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, can you force-change UteStar's moniker to Veronica? He pushes that show every chance he gets! (But because I trust his judgment in non-sports issues, I'll probably rent it sometime soon.)

I was looking over the Big Love items and saw that Harry Dean Stanton is in it. I thought that was pretty cool until I realized I was thinking he was Dean Stockwell from Quantum Leap, but I did see that Dean Stockwell is in BSG, right? And I found out there's a QL movie or TV mini coming out this year so that made my goose chase worth while.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

30 Days on Fx was IMHO the best show made last year. It was done by Morgon Spurlock of "Supersize Me" Fame.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
UteStar

Parrot...I am actually considering that I change my name to VeronicaStar. I have only mentioned what a good show that is about 37 times on this board. You can trust me Parrot on tv shows, rent the first season from Netflix or Blockbuster and sit back and enjoy and thank me later.

I have not seen '30 days' so I will have to look into that one as well.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Re: Great hidden gem television shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar

3. Flip this House (it is on A&E on Monday nights and Sunday afternoons)--This is a show on a company (Trademark Properties) out of South Carolina that flips homes after totally changing them. You get to know the individuals of the company and what they are doing. It is a terrific show and if you are interested in just watching what people do with real estate, it is terrific.
I thought that I was the only person in the world that watched that show. Its pretty entertaining to see what trouble Richard & Co. can get into as they discover termitines, roofing damage, & local opposition. Personaly, I find this show entertaining but not that valuable of a blueprint for those who want to get started flipping houses as Trademark has a considerable bankroll and can do so much that others can't because of it.

If you want to see an interesting show on first time flippers, see 'Property Ladder' on Discovery Channel. I find it very interesting to see folks put their last dollar into their investment homes and try desperately to turn a profit. Most of the property flipping shown is done in Southern California.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:28 AM   #7
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone watch "The Soup" on E? It's great comedy that fills you in on all the stupid stuff that's on the tube during the week. If you want something mindless to laugh at on the weekend, try this.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

1. MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) on Spike TV. ""Right you are, Ken!" Probably a little crass for Peter Priesthood (or maybe he just wouldn't get most of the jokes).

2. The Daily Show (I guess this qualifies as a "hidden gem" among Utahns). Better than Leno or Letterman.

3. Reno 911!

4. Mythbusters (Discovery Channel). If you like to see things blow up, you've got to watch this show. It's like letting you and a college buddy loose in a workshop with access to anything. And a crash test dummy. They actually blew holes in a pressurized airplane recently.

5. Medium. (I know - it's a prime time network show, but I just really like it.)

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #9
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug

5. Medium. (I know - it's a prime time network show, but I just really like it.)
Is it scheduled on the same night as its two companion shows, 'Small', and 'Extra-Large?'
Old 03-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
UteStar

Parrot...once again, its scary how similar our 'tastes' are...the Soup is a very funny show. My wife always laughs because I'm stupid enough to tivo that show. You get all the updates on reality shows without having to watch them.

Property Ladder---never have seen it, I'll check it out.

John Stewart--I love his show...my wife and I got to see one of his shows in New York back in 2001. To be honest though, I am becoming a bigger fan of the Colbert Report. Very entertaining.