cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default There Will Be Blood

PT Anderson is one of my fav directors and I have been looking forward to seeing this. But what's going on with it? I keep waiting for it to hit the theaters. I see from Wikipedia it was released a couple weeks ago in NYC and LA. It's being released slowly over the next few weeks with a targeted final release to a total of 600 theaters in the top 75 markets? Regular commercial releases usually hit like 3,000 theaters right? Will this even come to Provo? What's the deal?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
PT Anderson is one of my fav directors and I have been looking forward to seeing this. But what's going on with it? I keep waiting for it to hit the theaters. I see from Wikipedia it was released a couple weeks ago in NYC and LA. It's being released slowly over the next few weeks with a targeted final release to a total of 600 theaters in the top 75 markets? Regular commercial releases usually hit like 3,000 theaters right? Will this even come to Provo? What's the deal?
A lot of the best movies only see limited releases. TWBB is in 51 theaters right now, but it's doing pretty well so it should be expanding soon. Only the movies expected to do very well ever hit 3000 theaters, and I doubt TWBB gets too far above 500 unless they get a bunch of oscar noms, which I hear is what the producers are counting on. The buzz is sure positive for the movie, so I'll catch it on demand eventually.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

It received major buzz in the Reporter and Variety for Best pic, although it looks like No COuntry will be the front runner.

TWBB is also getting a lot of buss for Best Score, which was done by Jonny Greenwood of radiohead. It would be cool to see him get an Oscar.

I havent seen the movie, though. Friends have and said it was excellent.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
jay santos

Punch Drunk Love is in my top 5 or top 10 movies all time. I also liked Magnolia and Boogie Nights.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I kinda hated Magnolia, although I find that my enjoyment of a movie is highly dependent on my mood at the time. I have enjoyed PTA's other movies, though. Some say that Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor of our generation, but I find that he tends to be very cold and villainous in most of his movies, which doesn't seem to me a very difficult task. Then again, I don't know anything about acting.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I kinda hated Magnolia, although I find that my enjoyment of a movie is highly dependent on my mood at the time. I have enjoyed PTA's other movies, though. Some say that Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor of our generation, but I find that he tends to be very cold and villainous in most of his movies, which doesn't seem to me a very difficult task. Then again, I don't know anything about acting.
I hated Gangs of New York first time I watched it. Liked it second time and loved it after that. Not sure why. I thought DDL was amazing in that film. And U2's song clinched it.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Got around to seeing this movie tonight. DDL was tremendous and that is pretty much all I can say about this film. I think this movie will split with people who love it or people who absolutely hate it. I tend to fall into the last category but still feel the film has somewhat of a story to tell. The music almost made me walk out a few times. For some reason the music never matched the mood of the scene for me. No Country should win best picture and DDL should win best actor.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Got around to seeing this movie tonight. DDL was tremendous and that is pretty much all I can say about this film. I think this movie will split with people who love it or people who absolutely hate it. I tend to fall into the last category but still feel the film has somewhat of a story to tell. The music almost made me walk out a few times. For some reason the music never matched the mood of the scene for me. No Country should win best picture and DDL should win best actor.
Agreed. DDL was amazing. That said the movie sucked. And while a Radiohead fan, the music was disjointed for me also.

I guess the movie didn't suck as much as it isn't a movie I could champion. You know the quirky indie type movie that you completely get and feel a need to defend it to everyone else who hated it or hasn't seen it yet? I wanted this movie to be that and it just wasn't.

And I hated the ending.

My wife liked it. When I pressed her on what she liked she couldn't justify her liking it other than she just did.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I guess the movie didn't suck as much as it isn't a movie I could champion. You know the quirky indie type movie that you completely get and feel a need to defend it to everyone else who hated it or hasn't seen it yet? I wanted this movie to be that and it just wasn't.
you put this way better than me. I wanted to like it. I kept waiting to like it right up until the credits rolled. I would still recommend for everyone to see it once, but I can't say you are going to like it.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I just got back from the theater and these are my initial thoughts:

Top notch performances all around.

Way too long and drawn out.

Very well done.

Still.....when it ended I was just like..."Uh....okay?" Especially the last 20 minutes nearly caused the movie to completely jump the shark, however still very well shot and superbly acted.

The artsy fartsy types probably gooed all over themselves watching it.