cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The End of Education

I just finished Neil Postman's "The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School."

It's the best book on education since the days of John Dewey, and that's saying something. I've sat through I don't know how many meetings on the topic of "what to do about the education problem," and Postman has his finger on it.

Did I mention that Postman is a conservative intellectual?

Do yourself a favor. Read this book.

And prepare to have your ideas turned completely upside down.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I just finished Neil Postman's "The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School."

It's the best book on education since the days of John Dewey, and that's saying something. I've sat through I don't know how many meetings on the topic of "what to do about the education problem," and Postman has his finger on it.

Did I mention that Postman is a conservative intellectual?

Do yourself a favor. Read this book.

And prepare to have your ideas turned completely upside down.
I will order it -maybe I can get a free desk copy IMO Education in North America is in dire straights. Grade Schools have become daycare. Middle schools are mostly forgotten and yet represent the most important years in a young students life and High school is merely a vehicle that permits youth to join clubs or play sports.

Even in Canada where education and teachers are highly valued as demonstrated by budgets spent and salaries paid large numbers of students entering post secondary education are essentially illiterate.

Granted, I teach in a community college and much of our student based is scraped off the bottom of the barrel but just this year our college has created an entire new program that is essentially a remedial English and math program to address the lack of basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills in much of the student population
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I will order it -maybe I can get a free desk copy IMO Education in North America is in dire straights. Grade Schools have become daycare. Middle schools are mostly forgotten and yet represent the most important years in a young students life and High school is merely a vehicle that permits youth to join clubs or play sports.

Even in Canada where education and teachers are highly valued as demonstrated by budgets spent and salaries paid large numbers of students entering post secondary education are essentially illiterate.

Granted, I teach in a community college and much of our student based is scraped off the bottom of the barrel but just this year our college has created an entire new program that is essentially a remedial English and math program to address the lack of basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills in much of the student population
I think you'll find this book insightful. His discussion of science instruction will hit your sweet spot.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote