cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Getting into Michael Jordan's shorts

Yesterday, there was a pretty cool Nike commercial featuring MJ (as usual). It was largely a montage of Jordan's entire hoops life, in reverse, going from the pros, to off-season workouts at Hoops the Gym, to his dorm at UNC, to footage inside Laney HS, to his boyhood house, ending up in present day with MJ talking to the next gen of young hoops players.

I started thinking about the rumored tradition of MJ wearing a pair of UNC shorts under his Bulls/Wizards shorts in every single game he played as a pro. I always thought that was a cool tradition, but something struck me as odd.

Has anyone ever seen a pic or footage wherein his UNC shorts are visible under his Bulls shorts? With players diving for loose balls, jumping the air to dunk, ending up on their backs after taking charges, etc....you would think that at least one single pic exists where you can catch a glimpse of these shorts. Yesterday alone, I saw so many shots of compression shorts, I almost went out and bought a pair just to see what they feel like.

I did a google search and found lots of references to the UNC shorts tradition, but not a single in-game photo. I did find a few pics of MJ wearing UNC gear in his later years, but nothing in an actual game.

Also, does anyone know which shorts MJ wore? I have heard that he wore the actual shorts he was wearing when he made the shot against Georgetown. After 10+ years of washings, those things would have pulverized over time. I have also read that he wore UNC practice shorts.

When Jordan first came into the league in the 80s, the NBA was still wearing short shorts. I guess he could have stuffed a second pair of short shorts under them (although you would think they would be visible).

However, as the shorts grew longer and longer at both the NBA and NCAA level, it seems impossible that MJ was rocking 2 pairs of long shorts, as well as compression pants (as has been common for years). It does make it more believable that he wore the original short UNC shorts under the really long Fab 5 length shorts.

I guess what I am saying is that I am officially calling BS on this rumor. It is a cool legend and a cool idea, but I am starting to waver in my testimony of MJs Shorts.

Can anyone help me out here? Is there a link or a pic that can put this to rest?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a link, but I have seen a pic of the shorts. It was a pic in the lockeroom. He had no shirt on and was sitting on the floor. The shorts were dark navy blue, and had the Carolina blue, UNC logo on the front corner. They looked like practice shorts or gym issue shorts. They were not long at all, but because of the way he was sitting, they were exposed.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
I don't have a link, but I have seen a pic of the shorts. It was a pic in the lockeroom. He had no shirt on and was sitting on the floor. The shorts were dark navy blue, and had the Carolina blue, UNC logo on the front corner. They looked like practice shorts or gym issue shorts. They were not long at all, but because of the way he was sitting, they were exposed.
Maybe my memory is fading.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not interested in what is in a pro athlete's shorts. But if you are, more power to you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Hence Michael Jordan wearing longer shorts, thus starting the trend that swept the NBA.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I thought that this thread would be in reference to those awful Hanes commercials with Michael Jordan and Cuba Gooding Jr. CBJ has never seemed so far away from Rod Tidwell as he does in those ads.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
I've seen that pic, but that is not in game or even pre-game. Also, that is not the United Center.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 04-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Hence Michael Jordan wearing longer shorts, thus starting the trend that swept the NBA.
Nobody is arguing that he did not start the trend...we have all seen the Fab Five documentaries.

But I don't see that as relevant, anyway. He did not start wearing long shorts until about 5 years after he entered the league. If the legend is true, he was wearing UNC shorts from day 1....under the short shorts of the mid 80s.