cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default It is heresey as far as the Jazz are concerned

but I think the Jazz will win it all once Sloan retires, especially if they hire somebody who isn't a follower of the fouling defense that the Jazz employ.

Do not get me wrong. I am a huge fan of Sloan, and appreciate what he has done for the franchise. I think he has earned the right to coach as long as he wants, and with the consistent product he puts on the floor, I have no problem with that and I am not saying that the Jazz by any means should force Sloan out.

I do think, however, that a team that has Jerry Sloan's discipline and consistency offensively, and that would play a non-fouling defense, they would have more success in the post season. I am not sure how long they would be able to sustain that success, and it is just my personal opinion that they would (at least temporarily) play better were Sloan to hang it up.

Again, I am not pining for Sloan to be let go, this is not an xx_97 rant, just something I've wondered and felt for a while now, and figured I'd share for discussion.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

When Sloan played, was known for his hard-nosed defense. He would practically punch an opponent in the mouth if the guy dared to go into the paint. His teams have always played his style of ball.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

The first problem is the notion that someone deserve to coach as long as they want. If an organization has that mantra, then it is not a championship organization.

Teams that regularly win rings (or at least often) impose a great deal of pressure on its coaches and players to deliver. The Yankees, The Lakers, the Cowboys, etc...losing is simply not acceptable, and certainly not over the long haul.

Second, some coaches just are not championship coaches. Some are. Perhaps Sloan just is not one of them....there have been several coaches in the history of the NBA that amassed a load of wins but simply never won a ring. Sloan's dedication to his philosphies are admirable, but after 20 years of not working to full effect, maybe it may be time to admit that you need to adapt a bit.

The other problem for the Jazz is that there is a very real problem with the image of the team and the city. In the history of the Jazz, it has never landed a marquee free agent in his prime. Nobody wants to come to play there. And you just cannot win a ring without 2 or 3 marquee players in their prime. It just doesnt happen. The Utah problem will never change....it will always be predominantly white, unfriendly to black culture, very Mormon, and, for the most part, a very undesireable destination for high-flying, spotlight craving, NBA superstars.

Look at the two faces of the franchises.......once their tenure with the Jazz was over, the hightailed away...FAST. Stockton moved away within months. Malone went to another team. He actually stayed in newport Beach longer than Stockton stayed in Utah....you would think that after living there for 17-20 years, they would have some roots.

I think all these factors together make it very difficult for the Jazz to win a ring.

And for those who disagree, let's see if both Boozer and Williams re-up with the Jazz when all the other teams come calling. Something tells me even the most ardent Jazz fan knows that the odds of either of them bolting are very real.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote